A great day of snorkeling...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well here's a few manatee shots from my recent trip to hold you over until you can get down here to see them. Note the one with his head & tail up behind the kayak! Enjoy!

Attachments

• 100_0034.jpg
    100_0034.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0038.jpg
    100_0038.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_0045.jpg
    100_0045.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0090.jpg
    100_0090.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 41
Well here's a few manatee shots from my recent trip to hold you over until you can get down here to see them. Note the one with his head & tail up behind the kayak! Enjoy!

When is the best time to see them? Can you do like you are doing and kayak in to swim with them? Or do you have to buy a trip with a shop? How about gators, do they live in the springs? I was asked that they other day and could not answer, as I have no idea. Of all the things on my list of doing and seeing, this tops my list. I could devote days to just swimming with them. My family teases me about them, as they know they would not be able to get me from the water.

Thanks for the pics. I am counting down my days to come down that way and play!

Desi

Desi-

The best time to see them is mid-winter (Jan/Feb) when the Gulf water is too cold and they congregate in the springs & near the power plants. We spent the first day just kayaking the bay & at 3 Sisters Spring. The next morning we went on a group boat to do the snorkel trip. As for gators, we didn't see any & I doubt there would be any at 3 Sisters spring (where the kayak is in the pic) due to the number of people always there & it's location adjacent to a canal-front neighborhood. The other main spring they gather at is Kings Spring which is actually out in Kings Bay (which is salt water) so there's little chance of seeing one there. That's where the other pix were taken, hence the lower visibility. I'd be happy to PM you more details & hints to help you plan your trip.

BTW - nice signature line about the grandfather. :rofl3:

Stephen

Desi-

The best time to see them is mid-winter (Jan/Feb) when the Gulf water is too cold and they congregate in the springs & near the power plants. We spent the first day just kayaking the bay & at 3 Sisters Spring. The next morning we went on a group boat to do the snorkel trip. As for gators, we didn't see any & I doubt there would be any at 3 Sisters spring (where the kayak is in the pic) due to the number of people always there & it's location adjacent to a canal-front neighborhood. The other main spring they gather at is Kings Spring which is actually out in Kings Bay (which is salt water) so there's little chance of seeing one there. That's where the other pix were taken, hence the lower visibility. I'd be happy to PM you more details & hints to help you plan your trip.

BTW - nice signature line about the grandfather. :rofl3:

Stephen

Please do PM me! We can use all the help we can get.

BTW, good luck on your scuba class!

Desi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom