A lion fish spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed on a bigger one and got him just behind the head, so I had to let him go. He was putting up a big fight, and with my single tipped, and very short Lion Tamer, he was sliding up the shaft towards my hand.

If the tip unscrews, could you unscrew it and put a large fender washer between the tip and the shaft, keeping the LF from being able to slide up the spear?

If the tip unscrews, could you unscrew it and put a large fender washer between the tip and the shaft, keeping the LF from being able to slide up the spear?

Interesting thought. It would also prevent the over penetration of the single point, and deliver a serious, shocking "blow" at the same time. Sort of like the 'judo' spiked collars one puts behind sharp archery target points, to hunt small game, where shock has more value than over penetration.

I agree with the others: BARBS are a must.
I've had LF pull themselves right off even a barbed trident tip.
Some are docile, some are fighters, and you never know which is which.

The local LF response groups on STT, STX and STJ have had a 6 point barbed trident tip manufactured for them by TRIDENT, and they say it works really well.

As for getting them off your spear... use your dive knife. You need to cut their spine and puncture their swimming bladder while they are on your stick anyway. Wow that sounds gruesome in print! :(

might you share a pic of that special-made trident tip?

i
I agree with the others: BARBS are a must.
I've had LF pull themselves right off even a barbed trident tip.
Some are docile, some are fighters, and you never know which is which.

The local LF response groups on STT, STX and STJ have had a 6 point barbed trident tip manufactured for them by TRIDENT, and they say it works really well.

As for getting them off your spear... use your dive knife. You need to cut their spine and puncture their swimming bladder while they are on your stick anyway. Wow that sounds gruesome in print! :(

might you share a pic of that special-made trident tip?

i

Sallye, check out the tip:
B.jpg

For the whole story on this check out: http://nolionfish.com/2011/05/custom-6-pointed-trident-tip/

Now that's one nasty looking weapon! Thanks, Lanny. Too bad I just bought a few regular barbed tridents...

No, on second thought, I like that I can use o-rings to narrow the spread of the tips for those little guys!
Only 4 weeks until I go take some more of the little devils off CZM reefs.

Not only does it look 1-shot deadly, but would also TENDERIZE any tough ones! But seriously I'm curious how much quality meat would be left after being ripped off all those barbs, assuming a diver wanted to eat his kill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom