A little bit worried...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I know the sticky here says not to worry about the weather...but I am; it says to be concerned with wind.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Cozumel, Mexico - weather.com

I'm in Coz from Monday, April 20th, to Monday, April 27th. Should I be worried it is going to rain a lot? Anyone from Cozumel, or familiar enough with Cozumel, have any insights?

That's pretty much the standard forecast year round. It's an island surrounded by warm water, and there is almost always a chance of rain.

Sorry, the only reason I ask is that for the past month the forecast has been clear and sunny. So thats why I was concerned. I guess I'm just getting nervous because its our 5 yr anniversary vacation and I don't want it to poor the whole time. But sounds like its not that big of a deal..

I keep the Desktop Weather Channel on, but this is a better source for forecasts: Cozumel, Mexico Forecast : Weather Underground You can even get Hourly predictions. The current conditions are from the mainland, but the forecasts are for the island.

You're gonna get wet diving so what's it matter anyway? Seriously, in 10 years of vacationing to the area in the months of April, May, June, August, September, October, November and December, we've found that April and early May is the best in terms of pleasant and dry weather. Also very unlikely for an El Norte to blow in which will totally ruin you diving plans. But I can empathize, our first trip was October 1999 for our 5th year anniversary and the weather was terrible and rainy all week. Since we weren't divers back then we were really looking forward to soaking up the sun so it really put a damper on things. Now that we dive, I enjoy going in the fall for the better deals and to avoid the crowds and the rain is of little consequence.

Don't worry and have fun!

So, I know the sticky here says not to worry about the weather...but I am; it says to be concerned with wind.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Cozumel, Mexico - weather.com

I'm in Coz from Monday, April 20th, to Monday, April 27th. Should I be worried it is going to rain a lot? Anyone from Cozumel, or familiar enough with Cozumel, have any insights?

A couple of years ago in early May, both Wunderground and weather.com showed "thunderstorms" or "chance of a thunderstorm" every day for our entire two week stay. It rained twice - once at some point overnight and once for about half an hour one afternoon.

Don' worry, be happy. Most of the rain that happens in the spring and summer tends to be spotty brief showers that don't really affect things much.

You will likely be fine

In 20+ trips, I was only "blown out" once, on a January trip some years back.

The rain prediction/"chance of thunderstorms" is not the same as in, say, the northeast -where it can rain all day; that almost never happens in the tropics.

Good weather site mentioned by Don, BTW.

I did a trip to Ireland in April 88, carried my hat cover and raincoat around for a week, but didn't use them until I changed planes in Boston on the way home. :cool:

:hmmm: That was the month my TV antenna wire blew loose at home. Wow, 21 years with no TV now.

Don't waste good worry at this point. :) Although, if we have our choice we all of course want perfect sunny weather, but, alas, we can't control good ole mother nature. Regardless, if it does rain...some vacation plans are "dampened" and it is somewhat of a bummer...but, onward and forward. Michael and I had a group trip rained upon for I think was the October 2007 trip. We continued to dive...walk about town, enjoy restaurants and visiting with our friends. I also recall that the weather was not predicted to be so wet...oh well. It can go one of three ways. Rain predicted and doesn't happen, which is what I hope for your trip. Rain predicted and does happen...at least your expecting it. Sunny weather and Rain happens...that's life !!

BTW- Congrats on your Anniversary !!! Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom