A little help from 7mm vets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleHall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks..
I've got question.. Normally, my diving has been in warm water, but I also make trips to the FL springs. This last trip to Ginnie Springs, I decided I didn't want to get chilled like I have in the past, so I purchased a Henderson NeoSport 7/5 to dive the Springs. Yeah, I know, it may be overkill for 72 degree water, but being a born and bred Southern Boy, I'm a wuss when it comes to being cold. :wink:
My dilemma: Until the suit got saturated, my legs and feet were way too buoyant. After a few minutes in the water of not being able to control my buoyancy, I went to the shallows, and pulled open my suit allowing water to come in through the neck. Then I pulled my suit away from my body working the water down to my legs/ankles. As I said, once saturated, I had no buoyancy problems.. Being in the shallows allowed me to do that. What if I'm boat diving? How do you Vets keep your ankles/legs from being overly buoyant at the very beginning of a dive? Ankle weights are not an option because I'm fine later in the dive. I just am not having much (read: ANY) fun until I get my legs under control.. I'm sure, as with everything else, the more dives I do with it, the more I'll get used to it, but I want hear ideas on how to get it under control quicker.
Thanks for your time..
**D**

I dive a 7mm farmer jane with a 3mm jacket (read 10mm at core) and have not experienced this problem except for when trying to float on a line at the end of a boat dive and removing my fins. I would try to get some more dives in with this configuration and try to get your weighting down.

When I first started diving I always thought my feet and legs were positively bouyant. I even considered ankle weights. Now that I have better trim in the water the problem has gone away no matter what I wear. With your 7/5 suit you should only have 5mm on your legs/arms and the 7 on your core if I'm correct. That shouldn't make a huge difference. If it still bothers you add some ankle weights until you get more used to it.

Miranda

June to November I live in 7/14 mm neoprene and I can't say I've noticed this problem.

How well does this suit fit? Aside from the groin there should be nothing that would entertain trapped air in the first place.

I have observed that for the first 3-5 minutes of the dive I may need to add air to my BC without a depth change. I have attributed it to my BC and accesories releasing entrapped air and becoming more negative. I suppose some if this would be attributed wetting out of the suit.

If you make a head first descent try horizontal or even heads up for part of the way.

Pete

I routinely dive the springs in a 7mm and I have not had this problem.

Perhaps you are getting some air trapped in your boots?

Fin keepers might help.

As always, the more dives the better. I wouldn't worry about the first few minutes anyway. Bouancy at depth and ascent is the important part.

Good luck with the suit,
Peter

Try pulling your neck out a little when you are on the surface if it is trapped air the 6'ish feet of pressure should push it out the top.

Good luck...

your suit may just be really new and too effective on limiting the transfer of water. So much that it's trapping air and offsetting you. Break it in a little and it should be ok.

DaleHall:
I want hear ideas on how to get it under control quicker.
Thanks for your time..

This is a long shot but do you eat a lot of beans? :D

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Maybe I missed something, but would it help if you just flooded your suit before starting the dive? I have a Henderson hyperstretch, and it fits so well that I have to stick a finger in the arm and leg cuffs and give it a tug to flood it. When I get out, it looks like I have bell bottoms on since it traps the water around my ankles.

My other theory is that your weighting is shifting as you breathe your tank down and at the start of the dive you are head heavy/foot light from all the gas. If this is the case, try moving your tank to align your centers of mass and buoyancy.

I always jump in with my suit zipped down in the front that way it fills quickly and I dont have to worry about those cold trickles as the water comes in a little at a time. But I have never had a problem with my feet floating in any wetsuit.

Thanks Folks.. All good ideas.. To answer a couple of the questions: Yes, the suit is VERY new.. Only three dives on it now.. That may be the biggest problem of not getting the water in quick enough. I'll try flooding from the neck around the same time I'm putting on my fins and see if that helps early on until the suit gets more dives on it.. Not doing any boat dives in the very near future so I can flood in the shallows.

BEANS!!! Maybe that's my problem...:mooner: I need to cut down on them!!!! LOL...:rofl3:

Thanks again for all the answers...
**D**

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom