a little help on configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
Once upon a time GI mentioned he was able to do something others couldn't because he was in "ridiculous shape". People occasionally poke fun at the comment by applying it to different situations.
I can see that having something to do with speed turning valves (seriously)

I think that what the original poster was trying to say was that NAUI tech students are instructed to look at JJ's Anatomy of a Technical Diver for equipment configurations. That's what I've been told, and I can see why NAUI would say that. :14:

Doc Intrepid:
somehow, nova, I suspect that George can both reach and turn his valves.

but if you don't think so, why don't you go tell him he's never done a real dive in his life, his rig is an abortion, and he needs to take a few pointers from you...

I'd pay money to see that. Seriously. :D

nova:
If those are your tanks in the Bonaire picture it looks like you rig at a 45 degree angle leaving the valve handles open for buisness. unlike the apexs regs you see in the pictures of GI3 harness. maybe my thumbs are just to big. look at the picture of the overveiw. there is no way those apexs regs don't interfear with operation of those valves with 7mm gloves. He may be able to turn them but only a little at a time, not with a full hand movement that is required during an emergency.

if you rig that way and it works for you that's fine, but if you rig that way and croak , well that's not so good is it ?
Wow. I had completely forgotten about that photo...but, no, the tanks in the photo aren't the ones I was using on that dive. I think that those tanks belong to the other diver in the photo, a friend and former instructor who is now the Manager of the Bonaire Marine Park. Like most folks, I have to borrow tanks in Bonaire but I use TX100's for my backgas and those aren't.

Your comment about the "full hand movement" might point to an issue. If you have the tension set properly on the valve seats, you won't need a full grip to turn the valves. Fingertips alone might not be enough, but fingers only should do. I think you'll find that capping your hand over the ends of the knobs and gripping them with your fingers instead of palming them like a handlebar will increase the speed of your shutdown drills, since the motion is a little less complex.

Whatever the difference betwixt what you and I are doing, I don't have a problem with my gloves interfering with my valve shutdowns. I'm pretty dedicated about valve drills (otherwise known as deco stops) and, on the few occasions when I've had to shut down for real, it simply hasn't been an issue. YRM(and obviously do)V.

Back
Top Bottom