a little help on configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
somehow, nova, I suspect that George can both reach and turn his valves.

but if you don't think so, why don't you go tell him he's never done a real dive in his life, his rig is an abortion, and he needs to take a few pointers from you...
deisel dives in the north, George dives in the south, the differance would be the 7mm gloves.

The high presure hose is crimping the wing and that causes trouble all on it's own. I know George is well respected and I'm just a crap water diver but those valves are going to be hard to control with thick gloves

Those regs also route fine without bending the hoses past manufactures specks.

go to post two by lil Irish temper in the doubles setup (tech section) you'll see all three valves are open for buisness. maybe you can E-mail George this thumbnail to help him out

also post 7 by Dam Gibson, hoses over the wing can trap gas. Dan doesn't like me either, but he is right about trapping gas in the wing , sounds like it's happened to him at least once. I know it's happened to me (only once) that's what I got for rigging from a picture on that site. Don't let it happen to you

NAUI does teach a Hogarthian configuration in their tech classes. I'm not going to bother looking but I'm sure you can find some info on it (maybe on their web site?). From what I remember hearing it's pretty close, if not identical, to the configuration that GUE teaches. If not you can check with a NAUI tech instructor.

As a side note, something else I never got around to checking on (I just don't care enough), I've been told by people who should know that the term DIR (doing it right) was actually first used in an old NAUI text.

jonnythan:
Show us some pics of your rig.
hopefully when I get my digital camera I'll be able to post that for you jonny. but untill then look at the pic by lil irish temper, the only change to my rig is I put the DR SPG under my left harness strap and boltsnap it to the D-ring( just look down and there it is , no need to unsnap, read, replace) just read, this is also good for buddy diving. It makes it easy for a buddy to eyeball as well

Speaking from years of cold water experience, I like my regulators rigged outboard. Despite how it may seem, pointing the regulators outboard (as per GI3) does not interfere with locating or manipulating the valves, in warm water or cold. Even with heavy neoprene gloves. Even with drygloves. As Andy pointed out, the outboard configuration makes it easy to reach back, find the regulator and then slide your hand back directly onto the valve. When fingers are desensitized from the cold, this can be a real benefit. The outboard mounted regulator can also serve as a handle to pull the rig forward if you're having difficulty reaching the valve - not recommended but still nice if you need it.

I've never blown a hose due to the outboard configuration, either. Hoses aren't all that fragile and can take some bending.

reefraff:
Speaking from years of cold water experience, I like my regulators rigged outboard. Despite how it may seem, pointing the regulators outboard (as per GI3) does not interfere with locating or manipulating the valves, in warm water or cold. Even with heavy neoprene gloves. Even with drygloves. As Andy pointed out, the outboard configuration makes it easy to reach back, find the regulator and then slide your hand back directly onto the valve. When fingers are desensitized from the cold, this can be a real benefit. The outboard mounted regulator can also serve as a handle to pull the rig forward if you're having difficulty reaching the valve - not recommended but still nice if you need it.

I've never blown a hose due to the outboard configuration, either. Hoses aren't all that fragile and can take some bending.
If those are your tanks in the Bonaire picture it looks like you rig at a 45 degree angle leaving the valve handles open for buisness. unlike the apexs regs you see in the pictures of GI3 harness. maybe my thumbs are just to big. look at the picture of the overveiw. there is no way those apexs regs don't interfear with operation of those valves with 7mm gloves. He may be able to turn them but only a little at a time, not with a full hand movement that is required during an emergency.

if you rig that way and it works for you that's fine, but if you rig that way and croak , well that's not so good is it ?

nova:
He may be able to turn them but only a little at a time, not with a full hand movement that is required during an emergency.
George is in ridiculous shape so what would be a small turn for you is a complete turn for him.

cornfed:
George is in ridiculous shape so what would be a small turn for you is a complete turn for him.
Not sure of the point there cornfed. I do know of a technique to speed turn valves and I'm pretty sure GI must use the same technique if he rigs like this .It's not for beginners. and it has nothing to do with slobwinders

nova:
Not sure of the point there cornfed.
Once upon a time GI mentioned he was able to do something others couldn't because he was in "ridiculous shape". People occasionally poke fun at the comment by applying it to different situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom