A little info on GoPro 3+ Black edition with LCD Touch Bacpac .....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Reading a few posts on this subject made me a little apprehensive about ordering a GoPro 3+ with Touch BacPac. After lengthy dicussion on the phone today I ordered the GoPro Hero 3+ Black with Touch BacPac after being reassured of the following by the technical guy on the other end of the phone.

1) When I order from GoPro, the Backdoor supplied in the LCD screen box IS COMPATIBLE with the Hero 3+ Black housing.

2) Therefore the old Hero 3 Backdoor will not be needed to use the Hero 3+ with the screen.

3) The Hero 3 and HERO 3+ cameras ARE NOT the same size. They differ in depth, one is slimmer than the other.

4) DO NOT use ULTRA cards with either the Hero 3 Black or Hero 3+ Black. Only use EXTREME.

5) It is a different power battery in the HERO 3+, lasts for longer, so the battery from the Hero 3 will work but not with the same benefits as the Hero 3+ Battery.

I hope all of this is true, I will know by the weekend when it arrives. This post may be old news I don't know, but hopefully it will help someone.

:wink:

Last edited:
I've only been using Ultra in my H3+, and not had problems, but I'm also only taking stills, and 720p video, nothing all that fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I had been using ULTRA card in my Hero 3, but only in 1080p and had no problems whatsoever. It was when I accidentally recorded in 2.7k 24 f/ps, that the video kept buffering etc. They can not handle the higher bit rates. It is when you get outside of 1080p that the problems occur.

I had been using ULTRA card in my Hero 3, but only in 1080p and had no problems whatsoever. It was when I accidentally recorded in 2.7k 24 f/ps, that the video kept buffering etc. They can not handle the higher bit rates. It is when you get outside of 1080p that the problems occur.

That's what I figured and I don't plan to go higher than 720, maybe 1080, but above that the frame rate drops and my screens aren't that high resolution, so it doesn't really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If your not using a good card like the Samsung class 10, once you start using Protune and high res/frame rates, you will have reduced performance. GoPro throttled down the bitrate of ALL Sandisk cards including the Extreme with their latest firmware version. I verified this through testing myself. Save yourself the money and get the Samsung SD card with DOES utilize the GoPro's high bitrate from Protune mode.

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM): Electronics

I am uncertain as far as the Hero 3+ is concerned, but I did verify this with the Hero 3 BE.

Check out this thread for more info: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...eme-micro-sd-hero-3-black-w-new-firmware.html

Thanx for that. I guess these cards are available in 32 GB ... I cant imagine losing a 64 GB card with footage from 5 dives on. Always better to get 2 x 32GB ... ;-)

We stock a range of recommended cards. including SanDisk Extreme, Lexar and Delkin. Not sure I can post links yet but have sent a message to admin trying to sort it :)

Hi El Pistoffo, could you maybe tell me why, in the GoPro recommended cards list for the Hero 3+ Black, that it only has the Samsung 64gb card ... ??? Is there some reason the 32gb card by Samsung can't be used ... ???

• SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQX-032G)
  • SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQX-064G)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 300x (LSDMI64GBBNL300R)
  • Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
  • Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)
  • Samsung 64GB SDXC (MB-MGCGB/AM)

It could just be that they didn't test the Samsung 32GB or they did test it and it failed, maybe.

The product code for the UK version of the 64GB Samsung is MB-MGCGB/EU incase you wanted to search for it.

Reading a few posts on this subject made me a little apprehensive about ordering a GoPro 3+ with Touch BacPac. After lengthy dicussion on the phone today I ordered the GoPro Hero 3+ Black with Touch BacPac after being reassured of the following by the technical guy on the other end of the phone.

1) When I order from GoPro, the Backdoor supplied in the LCD screen box IS COMPATIBLE with the Hero 3+ Black housing.

2) Therefore the old Hero 3 Backdoor will not be needed to use the Hero 3+ with the screen.

3) The Hero 3 and HERO 3+ cameras ARE NOT the same size. They differ in depth, one is slimmer than the other.

4) DO NOT use ULTRA cards with either the Hero 3 Black or Hero 3+ Black. Only use EXTREME.

5) It is a different power battery in the HERO 3+, lasts for longer, so the battery from the Hero 3 will work but not with the same benefits as the Hero 3+ Battery.

I hope all of this is true, I will know by the weekend when it arrives. This post may be old news I don't know, but hopefully it will help someone.

:wink:

Looks like your thread got away from the firts post and concentrated on the memory!

I want to purchase a Go Pro 3+ pretty soon and would be very interested to hear if the configuration you listed worked too!
Also if possible any advice where you bought it as they seem to have given you good support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom