A little problem with Rockboots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristessa

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the rockboots with my tls350, and i wear sp x-large jetfins. The problem i'm having is that the rockboots are a little too small for the foot pocket on the jetfin and after a dive i have a hell of a time getting them off. My rockboots are size 10.

My question is, if anyone knows of a lower profile boot i could get that will eliminate this problem for me.
Thank you in advance

Tristessa:
I have the rockboots with my tls350, and i wear sp x-large jetfins. The problem i'm having is that the rockboots are a little too small for the foot pocket on the jetfin and after a dive i have a hell of a time getting them off. My rockboots are size 10.

My question is, if anyone knows of a lower profile boot i could get that will eliminate this problem for me.
Thank you in advance
Me, size 10 rock boots, same problem. My solution was not to get a smaller boot, but rather a larger fin. Specifically, Turtle fins.

Mark Vlahos

Billy I use the 2xl jets with my size 11 rock boots.
Butch:14:

thanks for the replies guys. Mark,
I too was thinking of purchasing the turtles but i am afraid that they'll be too big(the foot pocket) to wear with neoprene booties when diving wet. is this true?
Also,
are their any noticable differences performance wise? I've never dived anything but jetfins!
thanks guys

The better decision may be to go from Rock Boot to Scuba Bootie.

You get a lower profile boot (no bit sole, no laces, etc.) and the benefit of another layer of neo (ie: warmness)

Try it. Take your fins and DS to your LDS and try a few on. I have several friends that have chucked their rock boots in favor of Scuba Booties.

---
Ken

I second the Turtles. I use mine when diving dry. When I'm diving wet, I use Scuba Pro Twin Speeds. Problem with the Jets is the difference in the foot pocket between Large and XL is the difference between a one car and two car garage, whereas it should be a one car to a 1 1/2 car garage. Just a bad design on Scuba Pro's part, IMHO.

As previously mentioned you might try Turtles (XXL Jets are probably too big) if it helps out check out http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba to see what others have tried.

Another option is to pick up a pair of canvas hightop shoes like converse. I know one diver who uses them in a size 10 with XL Jets. Though he cut a little bit off of the edge of the shoe (the rubber edging) to give a better fit.

Hope you find a good solution.

Aloha, Tim

Tristessa:
thanks for the replies guys. Mark,
I too was thinking of purchasing the turtles but i am afraid that they'll be too big(the foot pocket) to wear with neoprene booties when diving wet. is this true?
Also,
are their any noticable differences performance wise? I've never dived anything but jetfins!
thanks guys
--WARNING-- Dry suit newbie here.

Since I am still relatively new to dry suit diving take my comments with a grain of salt.

I love my Jet Fins. With my wetsuit and wetsuit booties they fit great. No slop, a nice comfortable and controllable fit. Easy to remove with spring straps.

I have lots of dives wet and am comfortable with the whole thing.

The fit of the Turtle over the Rock Boot is good, also no slop yet easy to remove.

I am still getting comfortable in the dry suit, I'm not there yet. I have the floaty feet thing going on. I wear fleece socks and lace up the rock boots tight. I am wearing the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme Stretch undergarment and a DUI CLx 450 dry suit I am using DiveRite gaiters. I do not feel a bubble of air around my lower legs, so I can only assume that the Turtles are not as heavy as the Jets I have become accustomed to.

I tried wearing my old wetsuit booties over the dry suit without any thermal socks inside the suit. The combined bulk of the wetsuit bootie and the sock that is built into the dry suit leg made for a too tight fit on my foot and also a too big fit into the Jet fin. Truly the worst of options.

Out of the water both fins seem to weigh about the same in a highly unscientific hold one in each hand test. In the water I think the jets do better, but I am still just starting with the turtles so I may only need to adjust my kick to get the same performance. I do know that with the dry suit and all of the other changes I am adjusting my kick. I am not yet comfortable with my kick, but I can not yet blame the fins, frankly I think the bigger problem is with the larger differences between wet and dry diving.

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom