A Little Something for my Fellow Solo Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meet and greet eh? Is that where we all get together, BBQ some burgers, shake hands, exchange stories, then don our gear, get in the water and swim away from each other as fast as possible? :wink:

You are partly correct. We do the above mentioned things .......
~ Then ~ We engage in a no rules, winner take all battle and the last one to come out of the water alive is the Solo Diver.

You know ... Same ole Same ole... just a typical sort of dive for some of us :crafty:

IMO part of the solo diver philosophy is that there is nothing to advertise; you dive solo because that's what you think is best, and it's nobody else's problem. Now and then there are dive boats which don't allow me to dive solo. I usually go with the assigned buddy then, and ``dive solo'' next to them - that is, I try to watch for them and to rely on myself only. These are not the dives I prefer, but I would not want people to think I dive solo out of selfishness or hate of mankind or something, so no offensive sign.

Personally I have no interest in broadcasting to the world that I'm a solo diver. It is obvious enough when I dive our local park or off our boat. I don't like the idea of shoving it in the face of others, especially when there are classes on board.

Now maybe something like... "Ladies, I'd give up solo diving if you'd be my buddy..."

IMO part of the solo diver philosophy is that there is nothing to advertise; you dive solo because that's what you think is best, and it's nobody else's problem. Now and then there are dive boats which don't allow me to dive solo. I usually go with the assigned buddy then, and ``dive solo'' next to them - that is, I try to watch for them and to rely on myself only. These are not the dives I prefer, but I would not want people to think I dive solo out of selfishness or hate of mankind or something, so no offensive sign.

I've always been somewhat mystified by the "assigned buddy" concept on dive boats.

I presume dive boat operators enforce a buddy rule to avoid litigation risk owing to the violation of one of recreational divings oldest ground rules. If that's the case, I think they're trading one risk for another because the buddy rule implies mutual consent and a reasonable belief that your buddy is willing and able to - well - be a buddy.

Even if there is some local ordinance or other governing factor requiring that operators enforce the rule, it could still be sorted out at the dock. Again, seems they're trading one risk for another.

Based on my diving experience over 46 years, I am 20X more likely to have an incident while diving with a buddy than while diving solo. Of course if I have an incident while diving solo that the presence of a buddy could make the difference between life and death, I may wish I had one.

Here! Here!! i couldn't agree more. I don't worry about diving solo, it's the diving with a buddy that scares the sh#t out of me. I know my abilities, skills, strenghts, limitations and weaknesses. How in the heck am I to know a buddies that i haven't dove with before??? or, how would they react in an emergency siuation? Now, I'm not saying that i WILL NOT dive with a buddy but there are damn few buddies that i would be willing to trust MY life with. There are a few divers that i dive with that i would dive with any time, anywhere and in any situation, but that is and will be MY choice!!!! ken

I am always interested in new Diving shirts, especially if they are smart Arse....

the only time i have a buddy is when i dive with my wife, And its probably me being over protective, but since she is a newer diver so even though I know she is capable, i still like to be close for her support. I do not depend on her for an emergency, But I want her to be able to know that i am there, if she cant solve the problem with her own equipment. Generally the few dives she goes on a year locally, i just let her lead, and I follow her around. She doesnt like to dive in Michigan inland waters, nor water colder than 70 degrees, so her diving is pretty limited to a few times a year, and on vacations...

Get some T-shirts made showing a diver being pulled on a Gavin, and in large letters on the front the words "Solo Underwater Explorers".

On the back, in larger letters, the acronym "SUE"

:wink:

Shouldnt that be " I Solo Underwater Explore"

On the Back
I SUE

that should keep them at a distance :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom