A&M Shipwreck weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TAMUG already has all the cool diving stuff - big brother campus should have something cool...aside from Bjarne Stroustrup as a member of the Comp Sci dept.

PvilleStang:
Well, there's always the scoreboard at the mass grave of inbred dogs for cool, right?

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to defend Reveille at this point...but uhh, yeah, like I said, I never drank the kool-aide.

Let me see, where can I go from this. Oh! Austin has more homeless people!

(wow, somehow we've seriously deviated from thread topic).

Yeah, so, I'm planning on going to shipwreck weekend <trying to steer (pun) Longhorns back on topic :wink:>

TAMUG doesn't have big enough facilities. They also don't want to risk having valuable artifacts in a flood/hurricane prone location.

hydro12:
I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to defend Reveille at this point...but uhh, yeah, like I said, I never drank the kool-aide.

Let me see, where can I go from this. Oh! Austin has more homeless people!

(wow, somehow we've seriously deviated from thread topic).

Yeah, so, I'm planning on going to shipwreck weekend <trying to steer (pun) Longhorns back on topic :wink:>

Okay seriously now :14: :coffee: :coffee: :14:

So what's this shipwreck weekend like?

hydro12:
... Yeah, so, I'm planning on going to shipwreck weekend <trying to steer (pun) Longhorns back on topic :wink:>
:rofl: On topic would be nice.

I also am planning on attending this event. Some of you locals should pick a spot that would be suitable for a meeting place, maybe for lunch, and let the rest of us know. Any place we can meet within walking distance?

Another question, where would be the best spot to look for parking when coming from Highway 6?

Willie

Uh, can we get back to the conference?

I don't care where it is...I'd be there in a heartbeat ESPECIALLY if there was an opportunity to learn of potential ways in which to volunteer for some of the archaeology programs. I'm a professional educator, and I'm EXTREMELY interested in finding ways to participate in field research during my summer months. I think it's important to bring as much of what we learn back into the classroom.
Any input or suggestions will be appreciated. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing about the conference.

One good way is to contact the state marine archaeologist in Austin. His name is Steve Hoyt and he is a really nice guy. Whenever he has projects, he will need help. As with any State agency, funding is always an issue so he needs volunteers. They also have a Stewards program. The Marine Stewards (there are several) cover certain areas of the Texas coast and if someone reports something, Steve will have a Steward go look at it and report back. Generally these people live in the area they cover.

Anyway, Steve Hoyt is with the Texas Historical Commission here in Austin.

also, if you want to see some of the artifacts (after conservation) from the La Belle project, they are in the Bob Bullock History Museum. I had the pleasure of being the Assistant Director for that project and can tell you the artifacts are really amazing..

Hope that helps. There are other ways to volunteer as well but that is the closest...

Layne

Thanks, Layne, for the contact info. I appreciate it and will contact Steve Hoyt ASAP.

I am muck hoping to make the open house event also.

Back
Top Bottom