A Mystery From West Palm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Night dive off West Palm Beach, FL. 15m depth, small, 4-5cm in length. There were lots of juveniles of various species about, so it could be a youngster, but I just can't place it. The barbs should give it away, but it certainly doesn't look like any goatfish I know.

It was near the second fish, both hanging out on the bottom. I believe the second one is in fact a Juvenile Spotted Goatfish (Pseudupeneus maculatus), which I've also never seen before.

Thanks!
P6240585s.jpg

P6240549s.jpg

I've been told the first shot may be of a Cusk Eel, which I've never heard of and isn't in any of my books/online references. Searching pics, it looks pretty close, though.

I looked it up. There are a bunch of specifies. Your critter has the right body plan. I think that you are probably right.

I've been told the first shot may be of a Cusk Eel, which I've never heard of and isn't in any of my books/online references. Searching pics, it looks pretty close, though.
That's what it looks like to me.

Night dive off West Palm Beach, FL. 15m depth, small, 4-5cm in length. There were lots of juveniles of various species about, so it could be a youngster, but I just can't place it. The barbs should give it away, but it certainly doesn't look like any goatfish I know.

It was near the second fish, both hanging out on the bottom. I believe the second one is in fact a Juvenile Spotted Goatfish (Pseudupeneus maculatus), which I've also never seen before.

Thanks!
View attachment 377359
View attachment 377360

Brian, the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute would like your permission to use the photo of the Parophidion schmidti, the Dusky Cusk Eel for their website. You would be acknowledged of course.
Please contact D. Ross Robertson directly at drr@stri.org

Here is the website Shorefishes - Homepage

If you have any question you can also contact me at carlos.allison@me.com

Thank you for your consideration.

Here is the direct link to your find
Shorefishes - The Fishes - Species

Last edited:
Awesome! I'll contact them. And thanks for confirming the species.

Brian, the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute would like your permission to use the photo of the Parophidion schmidti, the Dusky Cusk Eel for their website. You would be acknowledged of course.
Please contact D. Ross Robertson directly at drr@stri.org

Here is the website Shorefishes - Homepage

If you have any question you can also contact me at carlos.allison@me.com

Thank you for your consideration.

Here is the direct link to your find
Shorefishes - The Fishes - Species

very cool....thanks for sharing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom