A newbie buying tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLArmyBrat

Reaction score
I am in charge of buying tanks for me and the b/f. I'd like to buy as inexpensively as possible. I have read some of the threads here and would like a little more advice.

Used tanks are ok as long as they are in good shape.

What is being in or not in hydro?
Where are some good places to look for good used tanks (esp. in the Central FL area)?
What else do I need to know?

Any and all information is appreciated!!!
Laurel
:froggy:

I'm only a Newbe , but in my humble opinion buying second-hand tanks is false economy. You don't know how it's been looked after, it maybe corroded inside and may not pass the inspection, in which case it will be destroyed!
I brought a 12 Litre dumpey for only £130 over the net .
Steve

The least expensive scuba tanks are used.

The least least expensive used tanks are aluminum.

Whether you dive with aluminum tanks or not should depend on where you dive, not on what the tank costs. Aluminum tanks are normally more appropriate for warm water diving than for cold water diving. You need to wear about 4 to 6 additional pounds of lead for each aluminum tank, therefore if you are already weighed down with lead from your exposure suit, then 4 to 6 lbs more may be the staw that broke the camels back.

Whether or not you buy tanks at all depends on how much you dive locally. If you dive less than once per month, then renting tanks is probably better for you financially than buying them would be.

Scuba stores normally sell off their rental scuba tanks about every year or two. That is the best time to buy used tanks. Look for a sale like that. Check each of the local stores in your area.

If you are already a regular customer of that store, you are likely to get better service and more honest opinions from them as to whether a given used tank will be good for you in particular.

Before you buy any tank, you should be able to look inside of it with an illuminating scope and see if it has any pock marks or oxidation. In steel tanks, the oxidation is brown. In aluminum tanks, the oxidation is white. All tanks oxidize, faster if they hold nitrox, even faster still if there is moisture in them.

Any abnormalities inside a tank, like a discoloration line, is a clue that something else might be wrong with a used tank. The best tanks are shiney on the inside, top to bottom, with no cracks of any kind near the threaded neck area. Aluminum tanks tend to develop cracks over time. Steel tanks tend to rust.

You can usually find one or two year old used tanks at a scuba store rental gear sale for under $100 each. Inspect the inside of the tank, then write down the serial number and have the store vis it and fill it for you. Take care of it, and the tank should last you at least 5 years. If you dive once a month, for 5 years, then you will be saving money over renting tanks each weekend. And you have the convenience of having your tanks with you to go diving whenever you want, if you keep your tanks filled all the time.

I would not recommend buying used tanks from any other source than a scuba store.

Did you try diver's direct in Orlando, they sell tanks. I'd rather by new tanks than get old used ones.

Aloha FLArmyBrat,
There can be good deals on used tanks as with anything else but you must know what you are doing. As for in and out of Hydro, scuba cylinders are required to be tested every 5 years and the date (month and year) it was done is stamped into the metal on the tank. There is also a sticker on the tank indicating the date of a required yearly visual inspection (VIP). A hydro test costs in the area of $25. depending on where you live. VIP costs around $5., again depending on the area. If the tanks have expired hydro dates you will incur those costs. If they fail the hydro test you will lose the purchase price of the tanks along with the hydro costs. There are other factors involved such as aluminum or steel etc., and reading about them in posts here here is likely not sufficient enough for you to make a purchase just by looking at a tank. I don't mean that as insulting to you but your post suggests you are totally unfamiliar with the subject. For that reason I don't recommend you purchase used scuba cylinders unless you have someone with you that is quite knowledgeable about them.
:shades:

Steel 72's are perhaps the best used tank buys around. They do not suffer the same problems as older AL tanks that may be subject to neck cracks and a steel tank will literally last for decades with normal maintainence. The steel 72 is also somewhat of a step child in terms of steel tanks as it is no longer produced and most technically oriented folks go for tanks with greater capacity.

Used Steel 72's with current VIP's and hydros can be had for anywhere from $50 - $100. If the Hydro and VIP is current and you can look in the tank before the sale I would have no concerns about buying one. If you cannot inspect the tank prior to the sale, I'd stil go ahead as long as the sale is contingent on it passing a VIP at the shop of your choice.

About the only thing that will kill a steel tank is standing water in the tank or rust that has been left untreated for years to the point that pits develop. Steel tanks aren't subject to the same permanent expansion as AL tanks, are not affected by high temps and it is very rare for a steel tank to fail a hydro. And as long as you have the exemption number for the tank they can be hydroed to plus rated standards and approved for a 10% overfill.

In practice, I've never gotten nervous doing a 10% overfill on a steel tank plus rated or not, but it is not legal without the + stamped on the tank after the last hydro test date.

In short, I have no qualms aboiut buying a used steel tank, but would normally not consider a used AL tank.

I've had no problems buying used tanks so far, and thus far, they have been steel tanks. I look for tanks to have air in them, give a rough visual on the outside to look for damage from being dropped or gouges in the tank, and I look for the valve to be in good shape. I then take the tank to my fav LDS for a visual by them ($8), hydro if needed ($22), and viola, one more tank to the rack!

I've averaged $25 for buying tanks and so far have not hit a bad one yet... I've been lucky so far. :snorkel:

Scuba Diversions gave me a good deal on a used AL80 with fresh hydro and VIP. They are a hydro shop so that was done onsite and the VIP+ was done while I watched.

Sometimes the real good deals depend on being in the right place at the right time.

If you want to buy several tanks at one time you can often get a good deal as the dealer won't have to spend a lot of money on tanks that might sit around for a long time.

Stick with purchasing new tanks. Steel or AL. If you are not savy in the ways and worlds of tanks previousy owned by others, you may pay much, much more in the long run.

I have seen AL80 for as cheap as $90 with valves in some stores. Typically, paying more than $120 for an AL 80 is usually not required, especially if you are buying multiple tanks.

Some things in life rarely last forever. Scuba tanks that are properly cared for will last almost forever. This can only be assured if the tanks were purchased new.

A couple of years ago I ran across a dive shop in the Keys who was selling used AL80 for $50 each. Problem was the tanks were an average of 20 years old and most were made form the alloy that had been known for cracking under stress. Then, I found out from a local Hydro Facility that some of the tanks that had THEIR stamp on them and it was a forgery!

Buy New.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom