a person with blue eyes and tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe2518

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious what peoples experiences have been with diving in the tropics and having light colored eyes. I tend to get headaches on the water (in a boat) unless i have dark wrap around sunglasses on. what do people in my situation do who might be sitting on the surface waiting for the boat, want to dive a lot, etc. Do tinted dive masks help? thank you in advance :)

Tinted masks will also reduce the light underwater, I haven't heard about any auto darkening masks,

That being said, you can always look down into the water and see what's going on while you wait. I do that, and I have no issue with the sun, although I wear a ball cap or brimmed hat to reduce glare on the boat.

I saw the title and immediately knew it was about light sensitivity. Tinted masks can help quite a bit in my experience though I'm not allowed to teach with them which is kind of annoying *eye contact can help considerably in a panicked situation*. I have been known to keep a floppy hat tucked between my back and my backplate and will pull it out on the surface if I'm waiting for a boat

I have blue eyes that only got more sensitive to bright lights after I had LASIK 6 years ago. I wear polarized sunglasses as much as possible on the boat, but once I'm under the water, it's not a problem.

I've had blue eyes all my life but have never noticed any problems with that intoxicatingly wonderful bright tropical sunlight. I seem as able to handle it as any dark-eyed individual - better than most, I think.

thank you for the input! I'm not worried about when I'm below the surface but it makes sense to just look down. I currently live in norcal and diving was usually on foggy days where it wasn't as much of an issue.

I'm curious what peoples experiences have been with diving in the tropics and having light colored eyes. I tend to get headaches on the water (in a boat) unless i have dark wrap around sunglasses on. what do people in my situation do who might be sitting on the surface waiting for the boat, want to dive a lot, etc. Do tinted dive masks help? thank you in advance :)
If you are concerned about eye damage, then just wear your mask. Glass filters out basically all UVB light.

If it's a comfort issue, start with a mask with a black silicone skirt to reduce incidental light and try to face away from the sun on the surface. I would not use a tinted lens since you want all the light possible when underwater. If you need more protection, then carry a roll up sunhat or a pair of sunglasses with you on the dive for wear once you surface.

I have blue eyes that only got more sensitive to bright lights after I had LASIK 6 years ago. I wear polarized sunglasses as much as possible on the boat, but once I'm under the water, it's not a problem.

Been about 16 years post-PRK for me, but my eyes are still light sensitive. As mentioned by others, polarized sunglasses and hat on the boat. Also, I can't deal with clear skirt masks. Tried one dive with one, nope never again.

Don't know about tinted mask lenses, Id rather not have decreased vis at depth.

Also, leave your mask on until you are back on the boat. That will help block out some of the light until you can get shades and hat back.
It is certainly an issue, but a manageable one.

My friend wears a blue polka hat. Works for him

PETE SMILEY.jpg

Carry an old, cheap pair of sunglasses in a BCD pocket. Like the ones you get from the eye doctor after they dilate your eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom