a person with blue eyes and tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't heard the blue eyes thing, but I have heard that long-term contact lens wearers are more sensitive to bright light. If these are true, I get a double-whammy of discomfort.

For hanging on surface of water before or more often, after a dive, I'm prepared with a buff around my neck, as well as, a wrap on my head. I can pull one up and over my eyes or the other down and over my eyes but still see well enough to watch for boats or other divers.

I'm already wearing these items to save from sunburn and/or eye pain.

Wearing my mask on the surface, whilst wise advice, doesn't really help me with magnification and prisming of water droplets. Double whammy, so I drop my mask around my neck and pull one or both of my buff and head bandana over.

In the boat, it's definitely polarized sunglasses and under the roof or bimini cover if at all possible.

Not possible to hide in shade? Then see plan A but with polarized lenses too.

I don't care if I look like a total goofball. Better that than a sunburn.

Carry an old, cheap pair of sunglasses in a BCD pocket. Like the ones you get from the eye doctor after they dilate your eyes.

that's what i was thinking of doing... just wasn't sure I'd look like a tool for doing so :)

Wait..
Blue eyes makes more sensitive to sunlight?
I mean.. It makes sense, but I have never heard that before.

I have very blue eyes and I am also very light sensitive.
I only wear dark silicon mask and I am thinking about getting a uv filter mask like the Apex one for my next dive holiday.

let me know how it works for you! yeah, polarized sunglasses year round for me. it just makes it more comfortable and no squinting equals less wrinkles :p

I don't think eye color has anything to do with sensitivity to sun glare. I have dark brown eyes, very fair skin and have been photosensitive since I was young. In the water, IMO, it's not wise to have tinted or mirrored mask lenses, because you don't want to dampen your ability to see under water and the eyes are the only way to read a diver's state of calm or panic.

My personal protocol is to never remove my mask while in the water. While waiting on the surface, I look down into the sea. You never know what's swimming below. If my dive requires boarding a skiff or zodiac style boat to get to the mother ship, I carry a pair of polarized sunglasses in my BCD pocket.

I don't think eye color has anything to do with sensitivity to sun glare. I have dark brown eyes, very fair skin and have been photosensitive since I was young. In the water, IMO, it's not wise to have tinted or mirrored mask lenses, because you don't want to dampen your ability to see under water and the eyes are the only way to read a diver's state of calm or panic.

My personal protocol is to never remove my mask while in the water. While waiting on the surface, I look down into the sea. You never know what's swimming below. If my dive requires boarding a skiff or zodiac style boat to get to the mother ship, I carry a pair of polarized sunglasses in my BCD pocket.

blue eyes let more light in than brown eyes, how the pigment works. you can still be photosensitive for other reasons though

Back
Top Bottom