A personal victory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_Alli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't think I'm the only one, maybe someone else remembers going to the beach every so often as a kid, enjoying the waves rolling in around you when all of a sudden a sea monster grabs at your legs! No, not really a sea monster, but kelp sure can feel scary :) Silly silly I know, but some fears/dislikes just carry with you and for me, I've always thought kelp was creepy and wanted nothing to do with it. Since I was living in Hawaii when I learned to dive, it's never been an issue, until yesterday. My husband and I are in California for a while so I figured we may as well get a couple of dives in right? So we booked a trip, rented our 7mm suits and hoods, bought some warm gloves and got some sleep to prepare us for the long drive to the LA. It wasn't until halfway through our quite long, cold, fog surrounded boat ride to Catalina Island that it donned on me: there's kelp down there! What if I get tangled up in it?! And the water's how cold!? I grew more and more nervous, and didn't enjoy our first dive at all... My husband's had some experience in cold water, so he was fairly comfortable, but I was finding my mind on a loop of "cold, things sound weird... oh yeah I'm wearing a hood, jeez I'm wearing a lot of weight, cold, eww kelp, it's dark down here " and you get the picture. Spoiled diver? Maybe just a little since warm, clear water is all I've known! Thankfully, for the second dive I decided to trust my buddy (hubby) and take a tour through the little kelp patch that was the dive site. Awesome. An entirely different, beautiful environment than I'm used to, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. We took it slow and easy and big surprise, nothing grabbed or tangled me up :) Kelp still doesn't look pretty to me from the surface, or dead and washed up on shore, but I know it is when viewed from below. 3 dives later and I feel as though I've conquered the kelp and cold water! (At least for the day) I also came away feeling that people who learn to dive and it in cold water certainly earn it!

So all that and I have a small personal dive victory... Anyone else have one to share? Large or small?

Attachments

• PICT0774.jpg
    PICT0774.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 58
If you build it will come.

CONGRATS! I am so happy that you conquered a fear and then got to actually enjoy what divers in that area enjoy the most about it! Thank you for sharing!

Happy diving!
Carolyn:shark2:
PS: My ex hated the water due to the evil kelp monsters lurking in the Pacific Northwest! LOL!

Congratulations on getting past the fear and crossing the line to cold water. That opens a whole new world of diving to you.

Cold water really isn't "cold" with the right gear.

Pete

Oh, I'm so glad you were able to get through the fear. I think the kelp forests are some of the most beautiful diving anywhere, with the sunlight filtering down through the canopy, and the "birds" floating between the stems. It would have been a terrible shame to have missed that.

I know what you mean about getting past a fear, though. In the last couple of months, I've done several dives on wrecks in Lake Washington. In general, I don't like situations where it is both dark and low viz, and that's the bottom of the lake. I had a horrible dive about a year after I got certified, that made me swear off the lake forever. And although the jury is still out on whether I find these wreck dives really "fun" or not, I am immensely proud of myself that I can do them now.

Around 1979-80 while visiting some cousins in Florida, they let me play with their scuba gear in their in ground pool. If there is a such thing as hooked by the first breath that was it. Sadly such pleasure items like these were just not possible with my parents budget. I recall many times throughout the next 21 years of walking into the sporadic dive shop that opened and closed in our neck of the woods and thinking good God I would never be able to spend the 800-900 for the cost of a BC. It looked as if I would never be able to achieve a dream of diving. Over the years other small life's goals would be met such as learning to rapell, buying my first ATV etc, but the diving thing seemed to always get pushed further and further down the road of being possible.

Well, nearly 11 years ago a friend of mine happen to mention that a local instructor was giving a pretty decent discount to those in public safety and I just happen to then have a lil extra cash saved up, so I agreed to the amount and took the classes. Oh my, it was just as awesome as it was many years back. The day I recieved my C-card I just damn near cried. Not so much as being able to dive, but finnaly after so many years reaching and achieving a goal I had set as a child. I've had a few short order goals pertianing to diving that I have made since, but till this day nothing has compared to the feeling of being able to call myself a scuba diver.

Dive safe,

Ken

Back
Top Bottom