A place to build / repair gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidwise

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Seems like every DIY gear project I undertake requires tools I don't have. Buying them drives up the cost unacceptably.

I recently found a place that has most of the tools you'd want to build or repair dive gear . . . or just about anything else you can think of. It's called "TechShop," and it's in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC. They have a fully-equipped machine shop (metal lathes, vertical mills, bandsaws, etc),a sheet metal shop, and a wood shop. They also have some impressive sewing machines (will sew through that heavy nylon webbing) and embroidery machines. Also a CNC laser etcher/cutter (for woor, coated metal, plexiglas), a CNC vinyl cutter, CNC plasma cutter (I've seen some great cuts on 1/4 in steel), a ShopBot (a 2.5-D CNC router), and a full welding shop (MIG, TIG, oxy/acetylene, stick), an electronics shop, a CNC 3-D printer for making protoype parts, and lots of hand tools. TechShop is an amazing place. Members can use any equipment on which you've passed a Safety and Basic Usage class. Lots of CNC tools and software to run them. Also classes on how to use tools you're not familiar with.

Other members there are building and repairing lots of stuff other than just scuba gear: motorcycles, RC planes, furniture, toys, tools, RVs, tools for the primate lab at a local university (these tools have to be "monkey proof"), building robots, all kinds of stuff. The website is techshopdurham.com, or you can just go by their place and ask for a tour. Like I said, an amazing collection of tools. Definately a cool place. I was quickly hooked and bought a membership. Check 'em out.

BTW, I learned the original TechShop is in Silicon Valley, in Menlo Park CA. There's also a TechShop in Portland OR.

Seeing TechShop's capability has me dreaming up all kinds of new projects for dive gear. Now if I could just fix that pesky dry suit leak ;-)

- Sid

Hey Sidwise:

Thanks for the scoop! I have a ton of tools myself, a lathe, air compressor, and the such. But I long for a mill, a plasma cutter and some form of welding apparatus (Oxy-Acetlyene, TIG, MIG, SMAW). A sewing machine wouldn't be too bad either but I am probably gonna buy one suitable for Parachute Rigging (harness grade webbing).

I will try to make my way up there soon. Of course, Durham, I am gonna wear my vest!

With kind regards,
Thomas

You won't need your vest. While TechShop's address is Durham, it's actually out on the east (Raleigh) side of Research Triangle Park near a bunch of high-tech companies.

BTW, I learned that TechShop Durham is having a special sale in May. All memberships purchased before the end of May are half price. This is an excellent deal. I'll probably buy a second year's membership while it's half price.

- Sid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom