Bp/w 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a metal worker I would like to point out that the words "inexpensive" and "metal" don't generally play well together. :wink:

attachment.php

jetharness.jpg

I would think a flat plate would be easier and less expensive to produce than a a conventional backplate that requires a press to bend the plate. Also it should use less material.

attachment.php

jetharness.jpg

I would think a flat plate would be easier and less expensive to produce than a a conventional backplate that requires a press to bend the plate. Also it should use less material.
Those look pretty comfy.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 09:18 AM ----------

If you don't like a soft plate then don't use one but that doesn't mean it is not a plate. I also don't subscribe that it is a defective choice. The diver trades a slight loss of stability for a decrease in weight and ease of packing. Some divers may not want to make that trade off while some do.
My argument has nothing to do with how fabric plates work, many thing work.
My issue is including it in with what people know as a BP/W. For the sake of a thread about "BP/W 101" I don't think it meets the criteria. Scubapro also bas a jacket BC that has a hard plastic backplate inside and thebbladder could be called a wing, why not include that too since tchnically it does have the two components that make up a BP/W.

Or a Freedom plate in aluminum? Not sure how possible that is. Be nice though.

I have one, I love it. It's one of the early ones with no rail. I also used to have one of the jet harness plates, that was also a good set up. The problem with it is that you were limited to very specific wings (dive rite travel) due to the way the cam straps were threaded.

I am in full agreement that a rigid plate is one of the defining characteristics of the BP/W and that it makes little sense to include fabric "plates" as the same type of BC system. Those are not "plates" any more than bags are boxes. Rigidity is precisely what makes the plate act as it does, which is transfer the load from the cylindrical tank to the diver's flat (sort of) back.

Most of the dealers and manufacturers spell it as one word. Such as here and here.

I have been too busy removing the bolts that have been sticking into my spine, to notice how most dealers and manufactures spell backplate.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several off-topic, and/or bickering, and/or childish posts have been deleted (roughtly 45% of the thread).
Play nicely or we'll remove you from our sandbox.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several off-topic, and/or bickering, and/or childish posts have been deleted (roughtly 45% of the thread).
Play nicely or we'll remove you from our sandbox.

Dammit! I missed my chance to bicker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom