A Question About Ear Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hickton45

New
Reaction score
I'm considering scuba diving, but I think I may not be able to because of allergies/sinus issues.

An example is when car doors close the pressure in my ears seems to go up slightly. When I'm in a pool underwater, this doesn't happen so that's why I think this wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know.

Any ideas?

Well there's nothing in your profile to go on...

Have you flown in an aircraft? Were you able to equalise your ears?

A quick word with an ENT should resolve your doubts.

Many allergic problems are also amenable to treatment.

If you're not having problems with your ears when going up and down hills in a car, or getting in an airplane, you have a good chance of being able to deal with them underwater.

I suggest talking to an instructor at your local dive shop. You should be able to arrange a try dive in the pool and that should along with guidance from an instructor move you in the right direction.

Good luck,

AZ

I've had some allergy issues also but it doesn't hurt diving that much. I just have to descend slowly, and usually pause for a minute at about 20 ft.

I agree with the above. You may have a slight issue to overcome with technique or treatment.

It may also be that you have a keen perception of ear pressure (closing a car door?). This would be an advantage in reminding you to clear early and often. This is a lesson sometimes learned the hard way. I don't notice the pressure skin-diving until 6-8 feet in depth.

Talk to your instructor and / or physician so you are comfortable with this but follow though.

Pete

I had similar concerns when I started and even more after my pool sessions since I could not seem to equalize quickly enough even in a 10 ft pool. Saw a post on here about saline nasal rinsing and gave it a try. Worked wonders. Did my checkout dives and never had an issue, normal equalization techniques worked fine and I never had any discomfort. Do a search on Neti Pots and you'll find the thread which has tons of pro and con info to help you.

Many allergic problems are also amenable to treatment.

If you're not having problems with your ears when going up and down hills in a car, or getting in an airplane, you have a good chance of being able to deal with them underwater.

I almost never have problems with those things. And if I take a Sudafed, I'm fine.

If you haven't equalised much before, it's a bit of an odd experience. Keep practising!

Go to WRSTC website and download the Medical Statement, fill it out honestly and discuss your condition with a physican. If he signs it, then you are good to go. Remember, it is important for you to understand the risks involved and only a doctor should advise you. Also check the FAQ section of diversalertnetwork.com for more info. From what you describe, chances are in your favor that the doctor will give you the okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom