A question about the devils eye/ear entrances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if you mean me or not, but my offer goes out to anyone that wants to dive. Cavern certified or not. We can dive to your limits and training and I can give you video of your dive so you can critique yourself.

I did. my phone just changed your name though. my current buddy works 3 jobs and goes to school full time, so she isn't available to dive much anymore.

I did. my phone just changed your name though. my current buddy works 3 jobs and goes to school full time, so she isn't available to dive much anymore.

No problem. Where are you located?

I'm in Birmingham Al. lately I've been able to get to cave country/Mariana once or twice a month though. with the holidays and hunting season that might slow just a bit.

Ok great. Let me know your available dates. I go a few times a month, and as long as I have an off day I can drive for a day of diving.

I don't know any cave instructor that would be willing to do what JahJah described. Here's why. It is true that you can be led one level above your cert by some instructors. But, entering into the ear and exiting the eye is more than two levels above cavern for most agencies. Also, this IS a cave dive. So, you need cave gear. Your open water gear is not sufficient. You need a long hose, at least a tank with an H-Valve. You need three lights, reels, etc. etc. You also need to be proficient in using this gear.

I'm still really up in the air on this one. No one knows better than me that a person can come off as a real assholio on Scubaboard but can be down to earth and nice as can be in real life. I'm looking for some kind of glimpse of that. But I'm just not getting it. I'd love to meet ya for a coke or a dive (at your level).

I envision a 19 year old kid who knows everything and can't be told anything. Man, will I be in a pickle then. Because when I was that age, I knew everything and couldn't be told anything and very nearly got in over my head (pun intended) and drowned. It was the generosity of Jim Calvin and Bill Rennaker that kept me alive by offering me the a similar deal I offered you. It took me more than a decade to repay the debt. But, I knew on the first day I had made the proper decision that one day would save my life. And that decision has saved my life every single time I go into a cave.

I am telling you with 100% certainty that if you do this WITHOUT cave training you stand a very good chance of dying. I'm also telling you that if you do this WITH cave training and follow that training that with virtually 100% certainty you get to live.

/sigh Give me a call, let me see if you come off on the phone as you do on this board. I want to help you, but only if it will actually help you.

Peter
407-304-9288

I think you have a better chance reasoning with a rock Pete. I salute you for your intentions though.

All I can say is none of you all are ever getting my a$$ into a cave. Screw that...

Glad you guys enjoy it though.

Got to say that I said the same thing about scuba diving in general. I'm pretty sure I won't cave dive, tho. I just told the hubs that I really don't need any more jewelry (gasp & gag) and I don't want another Coach purse (used to just love them). I would however, be in need of expanding my neoprene wardrobe, love a drysuit or just go to the LDS and see what I need next!

Training is everything. Can't have enough and never, ever stop learning.

Cindymac,

Isn't it funny how SCUBA can change your "wants."

Now I just wish I lived in northern FLA- always looking to improve.

As Tammy indicates above, cave diving is not all that hard when everything goes right. What the training does for you is a) helps you develop the awareness, dive skills and planning skill so that a lot fewer things go wrong, and b) trains you how to deal with things that go wrong and still successfully exit the cave. The apparent ease of cave diving is where the "deceptively easy to die" thing comes into play as soon as anything goes wrong.

Unfortunately, absent cave training a diver also has no idea how many things can go wrong or how quickly a cave dive can turn to s4!t, so a diver's ability to accurate assess risk relative to his or her ability is seriously impaired. To my knowledge no untrained cave diver ever entered a cave with the expressed plan to die. All of the non cave trained divers who died in a cave entered with a firm conviction they could do the dive successfully and a shockingly high number of them have been wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom