A question about the devils eye/ear entrances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[video=youtube_share;YmqWSbJRrOI]http://youtu.be/YmqWSbJRrOI[/video]

You know this video has nothing at all to do with feeding this troll, but it is a damn funny video. I think they should show it at his funeral/inquest at least it will give the guys that haul sorry dead ass outa good laugh. I like the idea of him wearing a GoPro on his head, make a nice internet epitaph.

The cool part is that it would be easy to pull your body out and from your posts society wouldn't be losing much.

I was reading a bunch of the recovery reports of cave accidents in FL, reality is a fair number of very qualified divers have died in the different cave systems along with the unqualified divers. This dude will give plenty of fodder for the accident discussion board. Wonder if he has ever been in any thing under 5 ft visibility. Swampy, what was the lowest visibility you have ever been in?

What a cavern class will give you is a better understanding of the issues. Taking the class may make you somewhat less likely to jam a reel or get entangled in your own guideline. Taking the class and doing well may make you a bit less likely to blow the viz, if you wander into the wrong passage by mistake and get into the silt. And if your instructor is persuasive, clear and compelling, you may understand why going into a cave with a single tank and a single regulator is a gamble most people are unwilling to take.

It appears that you really want to do this dive -- I don't know why; I don't find either the slot at the Ear or the rocky passage out the Eye to be compelling, especially compared with other sections of that cave. But you've been offered a class that CAN make something you want to do, which is inherently too high risk for most of us to contemplate or recommend it, somewhat less dangerous, and if you take Superlyte up on his offer, you might find you actually ENJOY the training, and even find it improves your open water diving. And you might also find that you like the cavern environment enough to want to get the training to do the dive you contemplate -- and much more -- with the greatest degree of safety that such dives can have.

I like the way AJ put it -- just going into the cave puts you a little way into the incident pit. Most people think those of us who cave dive are crazy, and they may well be right. But if you are going to do something which seems absurdly dangerous to the rest of the world, it just seems reasonable to do it as safely as it can be done, and the training programs have a pretty good track record of allowing the majority of people who go through them to cave dive and survive it.

Personally I do think cave divers are insane - well at least more so than any other of us fools that strap tanks to ourselves and go under water. I doubt you could pay me to go into a cave especially without proper training. I mean spelunking is dangerous but cave diving you have finite air. This being said I have nothing but respect for those that have taken the time and effort to do it right. --
I wouldn't turn down the offer of free training -- if only for the fact that it would help make me a better diver..

hey I just thought of something safer than doing a cave dive without training -- being a human landmine detector!

Last edited:
I'm sitting here again laughing like an idiot at that video! Lynne has been immortalized!

I have not read this whole thread...but enough to put in my 2 cents worth. I was at Devils Ear/Eye back in February ( I think I have the month right) when they pulled the gentleman from Tennessee out of the very passage swampy459 is talking about. I was parked next to his car when the springs workers started investigating the car. It was covered in dust and pollen. The window tag was a one day pass (for the previuos day) for an OW diver by himself. The officials were called and divers went looking for him. Found him 125 feet from the entrance of the Ear. He broke all the rules and paid dearly. Got my attention.

i wonder if the OP has ever run a reel in water before? i did this weekend for the first time. it is not nearly as easy as you can imagine it being in your head. however good you think your buoyancy is now, you can pretty much throw that out the window the first time you try to run a reel underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom