A question about the devils eye/ear entrances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only passing on the chance to talk to myself and Rich, but the chance to meet Tara! She was the other cave diver with me last night.

The fact that the OP declined to meet James and Rich tells me that he/she is full of s@#$. No one could really be this stupid, and I'm not going to help find him when he doesn't return.

troll my backside, whatever, I really don't care if you think I'm full of it or not,

now back to the discussion at hand....

Let me ask this new question... (from everybody who has posted)

Knowing that I do not want to become a "cave diver" ... frankly the caves don't interest me because from all the videos i've seen they are devoid of plants or fish and the cave at 875 feet in looks the same as it did at 122 feet in.

Yet, I do want to do the loop from the ear to the eye (not the eye to the ear, because it would be swimming more against the flow..)

I'm also not going to go out and buy doubles and manifolds or switch to sidemount or ditch my bc for a backplate and wing...

Do you think just a two day CAVERN course would impart the skills to do just this dive safely? (ear to the eye), (no other dives being discussed)

And if so, who are the most reasonable instructors who teach just a cavern course around G'ville?

??

Better yet, is there something similar to "discover scuba" for caves? Where a certified cave instructor will lead you through such a dive?

Sorry, but I don't meet up with random strangers off the internet based on just one post. It's dangerous.

I also don't drink alcohol, at all, ever. I don't do anything that would cloud my judgement.

If we pass each other diving sometime I might give you an "ok" sign though :)

Peace.

LOL, dear God, thanks for that. Otherwise you might be considering something fatal and unsafe. WOW! If he is a troll, he's the best troll I've ever seen.

I'm going to do something I've never done before, in the interest of saving someone's life. Tell you what... I'll give you a cavern class. If at the end of the cavern class you don't believe you've receive $400 worth of life saving advice and instruction, you don't have to pay for the class.

LOL, dear God, thanks for that. Otherwise you might be considering something fatal and unsafe. WOW! If he is a troll, he's the best troll I've ever seen.

I'm going to do something I've never done before, in the interest of saving someone's life. Tell you what... I'll give you a cavern class. If at the end of the cavern class you don't believe you've receive $400 worth of life saving advice and instruction, you don't have to pay for the class.

Thinking seriously about taking you up on this. I'll send you a private message by the end of the week.

Ok, I've now read through the rest of this post. Yikes!
I'm not sure what to think. I wonder if I give him a cavern course would it just make him feel more entitled to do this dive? To answer your last comment, no a 3 day cavern course would not make you safe enough to make this dive.

I just read where you turned down James and Rich's offer. That's a pity. Rich is pretty good at conveying information without making you feel like a dumbarse (way better than I am at it). Rich would provide you with lots of information and insight and do it nice. I'm not so nice. Oh well. I'm hoping you're just a troll and really not dumb enough to try this. I'd say you got about a 25% chance of surviving it.

Training --- NOPE, Breaking this rule
Guideline --- No chance in hell you can run a reel properly in Devil's Ear, Breaking this rule
Air --- Single tank, no H-Valve or Y-Valve, no redundancy, Breaking this rule
Lights --- Two lights? Nope, not enough, Breaking this rule.
Depth --- I'm assuming you have an OW card. So, you got that one.

Okay, one rule followed out of the 5. Scratch that. I'd say you got a 20% chance of living.

I wonder if I give him a cavern course would it just make him feel more entitled to do this dive? To answer your last comment, no a 3 day cavern course would not make you safe enough to make this dive. .

Ah, you backpedal when you realize I might actually take you up on your offer...

OK, so let me get this straight, ... your cavern course will not give me the training to be able to go into the ear, make two left turns, and come out the eye..

I can already dive the ballroom and have several times already...

What would taking your class give me that I don't already have??

Swampy, I will be in the area tonight and if you would like to come up, have a drink and discuss why I feel that way and what could go wrong.

Take him up on it. It is a very generous offer and is going to cost you nothing. I have more hours logged at extreme depths than I can remember - in several thousands. Many of them in zero viz. But caves are a different game. To be stuck in a cave without knowing your way out, with a finite supply of breathing gas is my worst nightmare.

Training is cheap - get it. You dont need a C card. Just get trained.

Sorry, but I don't meet up with random strangers off the internet based on just one post. It's dangerous.

I also don't drink alcohol, at all, ever. I don't do anything that would cloud my judgement.

If we pass each other diving sometime I might give you an "ok" sign though :)

Peace.

So you will not meet for free advice but you will think about a free course.....

Look these people are trying to look out for a fellow diver and this is not a kiddy chat room.
You have posted things that go against all safe diving procedures. I know this sport is not cheap but what is your young life worth? Yes I said young as you are posting like a 13-25 year old that still does not know what it is to lose a loved one in a needless accident and at that age you feel invincible. Hell I did but 26yrs in the military showed me different.

There is a generation that thinks that everything can be learned by watching a video and yes some simple task can but not this one. You need human interaction and question and answer time to discuss what you are seeing and what pops into your head during the training. Listen to the instructors and experienced cave divers. They know what they are talking about and thay do not want to have to pull out another body from a cave.

Swampy, I don't backpedal. I re-evaluate the situation. One of the best things I learned from my greatest cave diving mentor was this: He said, "Pete, I don't care if a student has better skills in the water than I do, if he doesn't have the proper mindset for cave diving, I won't certify him."

How do we ensure you get to live? You won't listen to us, we all know that. If I give you one class, it still won't be sufficient to get you through this dive. But you think you're qualified now to make the dive. How much more qualified do you *THINK* you'll be once you have this class. I'm really not sure what the answer is here. But, I'll give it a lot of thought.

To answer your question, "What would taking your class give me that I don't already have??"; for you, probably not a damn thing. You have to have an open mind to learn.

But what it gives most people is an expansion or elaboration to common sense. It provides you with a SOLID foundation for overhead environments. It gives you a glimpse of the reality that you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW. I've never had a single student that at the end of the cavern class the student says, "man that was a giant waste of money". Even the guys who don't pass class (and there are a lot of them) still take with them skills and knowledge and techniques that are used in everyday diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom