A Question for Anyone who has traveled by plane with their Dive gear....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alykitcat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As it has been established I leave Tomorrow for Tampa, Florida. I am taking my dive gear but am stuck on one point...wheather i should lug my weights with me or try to rent there. I dont know if they rent soft weights and my weight is all integrated. I am not diving with an exposure suit (85 degree surface water temp) so I'd only have to bring 18 lbs max. As it is Im going to be renting a tank for 7 days or so. I guess what im trying to figure out is which will be cheaper, the $50 overweight fee on my gear or renting that much weight for 7 days...

DO NOT BRING WEIGHTS!!

No matter where you are diving...they will have weight.

Definately leave the weights at home!

I'm flying delta. The reason I was debating bringing them is that when i flew home from guam on continental my dive gear by itself, without weight, was overweight but because it was dive gear they allowed the extra weight for free. I also dont want to use hard weight in my integrated pouches which is what i had to do in guam.

I don't know, I wouldn't trust the weights in Florida. Take them with you, specially if you are flying with American Airlines.
what is wrong with the weights in florida? been there many times and never had a problem. is there something i am missing?

Most of the time, weight and tanks are a package deal from the dive OP. Have you checked with them? I would ditch the weights at home.
I am not diving w an organized group, just with people i met on Diveboard. I would check with the diveshop closest to where im staying but im staying with a friend and i dont know exactly where he lives or what dive shop is closest.

I am not diving w an organized group, just with people i met on Diveboard. I would check with the diveshop closest to where im staying but im staying with a friend and i dont know exactly where he lives or what dive shop is closest.

Even if it was the same price or slightly more, I wouldn't lug weight that I didn't need to.

ive got a rolling dive bag and strong guys to take care of my bags at each end so im not to worried about lugging it...price is top priority at the moment seeing as i am broke trying to support my rather new and expensive hobby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom