A question for you MT. Stormers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know if we would need to talk to someone at the plant to sink some stuff in the lake? Or do we have free reign? I may be able to get ahold of some cars and maybe a small boat. Would definitley need help with the project, as I have no lift bags!

Eric,

As far as I know you would have to talk to the powerplant about sinking anything in Mt. Storm. From what I have heard Storm is very touchy about doing anything with the lake, especially where the Scuba community is concerned. In fact they wont even let us build a better, safer entrance into the lake. I don't know the contact information for the powerplant that owns Storm though JimLap may know, he seems to have a lot of good information regarding the lake.

Lets put it this way, the newest platform (the one with the benches), was put in under cover of night. They won't allow the stairs, as if someone hurt themselves, the powerplant had OKed the stairs and could be held liable. If you were to put anything in, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, and done without their knowledge. Hope this helps
-J

Also the plant has turned over some of the management of the lake to WVa DNR or whatever their name is. There are talks going on now with them and the plant to include new steps/ramp for scuba access. the labor is more or less set up thru a "community involvement program" for a youth group that has some interest in this type of project. Plans are being looked at and drawn up and money is another issue that needs to be addressed. Some talk of grants and soliciting donations from dive shops and others is also being bandied about. I'll be talking hopefully with some of the principal organizers in the next few months. Winter is a bad time to do anything up there so it will be a good time to do the organizational stuff. I'll keep everyone informed as to what if anything goes on.

Getting back to Eric's question though Jeremy and Jay are correct. If you want to put anything down in storm do it when nobody will be around and don't take credit for it! We actually had 3 boats available and went thru the channels and flat out got told no. Any cars you sink would need to be thoroughly cleaned or soon as someone sees em and opens their yap chances are the cops will be up to yank em out and check to see if they are stolen. I know they pulled two out this year near the boat ramp tha twere taken from my area. As for putting a boat down, hey boats sink don't they? Just where is the issue. The flats between the platforms in 30- 50 ft would be cool but controlling the sinking could be problematic. Lift bags are no biggie. I could come up with a few and in the case of a boat inner tubes could be used by just controlling how much air is let out once she starts to go under. or just let her go and right it if necessary when it hits bottom. be alot easier and safer that way. Again clean is the thing.

What needs to happen with things like this is if it were to happen you'd need to make sure that there are no glory hogs involved. I'm loathe to put small stuff down to check out because of the scumbags who think it's cool to smash things. I've toyed with idea of putting some things in on the wall back in the bigger crevices just for people to look at. Like maybe a skeleton in chains, a skull with glowing eyes, or even maybe a computer in one place I think it would be cool. But again how long would it last and then what if somebody got freaked by it. Had one student swear she was attacked by one of the pine trees in the concrete blocks, took off like a rocket, luckily the instructor caught her. So those are no goes. The wall would be great for items as I've spent alot of time on deeper buoyancy practice checking it out in both directions from 50 ft down to the bottom. Sometime we need to get together and I'll show you what I mean. Jim

I agree with Jim, it would be great to have some more stuff to look at. We need to get together Jim so I can dive the wall w/ you. I haven't done that before and was hoping to get up there this week but the weather has been horrible.

A bunch of Trailer Trash is talking over the idea of going that weekend. As Jim knows, we have been all over that place, too, so if he can't make it, you are welcome to join us.
-J

I'm going to talk to the missus about getting down there on the 4th. Might see you all there. I'd really like a temp update though. I'll get the number for the plant and try to give em a buzz to see what the intake temp is.

Well Jim-
I think most of us will be diving dry just due to surface air temps-I hate freezing on the surface. It would be nice to see you and your wife again.
-J

Bottom line is: Sure is nice to have Mt Storm to dive in. The DNR does control the diving access. Any sinking of any junk, boats, cars, what ever may jepordize the dive site for all of us. Lets be happy with what we got and not rattle the DNRs chain.

The squabbles between jealous dive shops, (Joe not being allowed to park his trailer in the lot), almost cost all of us a few seasons ago. There was talk of closing the area then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom