A question to an incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you jump into the water and your inflator isin't hooked up, thats because you didn't do a PRE DIVE CHECK.

C'mon guys call a truce!

...and if it pops off during entry which can and does happen? What then? What if you have to do a negative entry?

My latest trick is forgetting my drysuit hose or having it come off as the hose is a bit short. Usually find out at 4-5m when i press the inflate and get a wet stomach. Then i swear and reconnect it. ANY LPI hose is reconnectable underwater even with thick gloves.

Last edited:
One day ... you WILL get in the water without the inflator connected or no air in the BC or one of the other miriad of silly mistakes it is possible to make ... I have let me assure you ... you just haven't been diving long enough.

...and if it pops off during entry which can and does happen? What then? What if you have to do a negative entry?

Ok it could pop off upon entry, in this case If yo followed the procedure and still did a pre dive check and inflated your bc the air in your bladder should still be in your bladder!

Then if by chance your negative, oral inflate...the same as if you were in a OOA situation and surfaced .Have someone assist you if need be once your positive, but why would you do a negative entry in the first place? that just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I am not saying it can't happen, but to sit an argue the point it can is a bit much!

No, what I think is too much is that we have people trying to get answers to a problem so that we can all be better divers and we have people on here saying "Oh I am way to good for that. It will never happen to me. I will do a pre dive check." Nothing is learned from that. people come to SB for a couple reasons, two of which are the social aspect of it AND to learn. This is the Accidents and Mishaps section where we try to point out the possible solutions to problems that people may have encountered. Some people are missing the point of this forum. I agree that we all need to play nice, but for "pete's sake" (and no not the infamous "Net Doc"), let's all try to learn something AND help someone else learn something.

...and if it pops off during entry which can and does happen? What then?

Nothing happens because you inflated it before hitting the water.

What if you have to do a negative entry?
Then you're diving an extremely demanding site and you had better not screw up the pre-dive check.

Terry

Ok it could pop off upon entry, in this case If yo followed the procedure and still did a pre dive check and inflated your bc the air in your bladder should still be in your bladder!

..and if you have to do a negative entry?

Or even if you need to get down quickly as soon as you hit the water and dont notice its half popped off ?

Then if by chance your negative, oral inflate...the same as if you were in a OOA situation and surfaced .

Oral inflate while descending rapidly whilst trying to clear ears and breathe. Good luck.

Have someone assist you if need be once your positive, but why would you do a negative entry in the first place? that just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

To avoid missing the wreck or dive site due to strong surface currents and many other reasons.

Then you're diving an extremely demanding site and you had better not screw up the pre-dive check.

Terry

Negative entry is hardly a demanding site. Its somewhere with a current that can sweep you off the reef, wall or wreck of you spend any time messing around on the surface. And check all you want pre-dive, they can easily come off during the roll in.

So what would you do if you were in that situation...where you forgot to connect the inflator and jumped off with an empty BC, noticing it 6 or so ft under water?

Dump weight? Orally inflate?

People were doing it for a pretty long time before power inflators came out. I don't see what the big deal is, especially for a simple tropical dive or something.

I agree with Web Monkey--the only situation in which this might cause a problem is when doing a negative entry and free descent, and in that limited case you better have the discipline not to screw up. I avoid these descents anyways because I have ear trouble.

Negative entry is hardly a demanding site. Its somewhere with a current that can sweep you off the reef, wall or wreck of you spend any time messing around on the surface. And check all you want pre-dive, they can easily come off during the roll in.

I agree String...your absolutely right, I can see how you could need to be negative to enter the water for a dive such as that or how your gear could be disconnected. Hopefully never attempted by someone without experience and training. I am refering to the situation at hand about the post. If I am standing at the back of the boat , just before I go in I inflate bc, breath from regs check gauges, step off. All I was implying and that maybe thats something that didn't happen in this girls instance. Anything can happen, and yes to me. Sometimes i find it hard to explain myself in type, I am just a construction worker don't mean to sound abrupt.

A high-current site with no down-line isn't demanding?

I've actually done a number of these and they're a real bear to get just right and still keep buddies together and hit the target. One slow ear clear or a second looking the wrong way and you have two high-speed solo drift dives into a shipping lane.

Aside from being dropped from a helicopter, a negative entry into high current is about as demanding as I can think of right now.

In any case, if a screwup is not acceptable, the answer is "do whatever it takes to not screw up" This is why pilots have checklists.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom