A real rescue course - very close near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone... like you or like me.... decided to train him.....

R..

The voice of reason speaks.

It frustrates me to no end when either instructors or students (or both) grossly underestimate not only their own abilities or the abilities of others. It has made me very leery and cautious but that's probably a good thing in the long run.

R

The voice of reason speaks.

It frustrates me to no end when either instructors or students (or both) grossly underestimate not only their own abilities or the abilities of others. It has made me very leery and cautious but that's probably a good thing in the long run.

R

Sorry to the OP for the temporary :hijack:

I would anticipate Rachel that you then expect a little more from your students and are thus turning out better divers. I am speculating but being caustious would fit with that. And that to me, is always a good thing.

Sorry to the OP for the temporary :hijack:

I would anticipate Rachel that you then expect a little more from your students and are thus turning out better divers. I am speculating but being caustious would fit with that. And that to me, is always a good thing.

Thank you for your support! I actually broke the last divemaster candidate in a writhing pile of goo before he picked himself up and became the star of his IDC :D

</hijack>

This is kind of what I expected to hear - I find it unfortunate that people move directly towards a professional rating before they are ready. Let me be perfectly clear about one thing - this person may have never had a panic situation prior to this event - he may have felt that he was ready - sometimes people are unaware of what will make them panic until it actually happens. I fully understand this and am in no way bashing this diver or his instructor(s) as this may have been totally unforeseen.

Now, personally, I did not even consider DM until I had been diving for five years with well over 100 dives to my credit. I had experience in cold water, warm water, low vis and high vis. I had been in situations where I had to actually rescue a panicked diver at the surface. Bottom line, I felt ready, my instructor evaluated my skills fully and felt I was ready. (he even had the other DM candidate do a buddy breathing gear exchange in the pool while swimming with me - THAT was interesting). So, yes, I was ready mentally and physically. This guy may have felt EXACTLY the same. There are too many unanswered (and most likely won't be answered here) questions to know for sure.

Some people can handle this sort of thing from day one - some never get there even after 300 dives. You won't know until you try - but it appears to me - and again, I am not certain, so please keep the flamethrowers stowed - that this guy was waiting for the minimums so he could start DM class. Minimums are just that - absolute mins for attempting the class - they are NOT a substitute for appropriate experience and actual ability.

I do hope this guy gets back in the water and can learn from the experience. I actually hope he makes it to DM - he has a GREAT experience to tell future students from the been there, done that perspective. As long as he can get past the panic episode and learn from it - perhaps re-evaluate his self-rescue skills and expand on them - he could make a superb DM. I hope it works out for him.

Is there a minimum # of dives required to begin a DM course? I know there is a minimum to complete the course but not sure that there is a minimum to start it???

I do hope this guy gets back in the water and can learn from the experience. I actually hope he makes it to DM - he has a GREAT experience to tell future students from the been there, done that perspective. As long as he can get past the panic episode and learn from it - perhaps re-evaluate his self-rescue skills and expand on them - he could make a superb DM. I hope it works out for him.

I do know the doctor has ordered him out of the water for quite a while, so for now earning a DM will have to wait. I have heard his spirits are good, but he is very dissapointed about postponing the DM and would get back in the water tomorrow if he could :D.

After taking part in the whole rescue I was a bit anxious about diving again, but jumped back in a few days later. The anxiety on the surface, was soon surplanted by the love of diving & the beauty of the deep. With 96 dives, the accident has only fueled more passion to continue my training towards becomming a more compentent & capible diver & I hope this thread encourages others to do the same :wink:

Is there a minimum # of dives required to begin a DM course? I know there is a minimum to complete the course but not sure that there is a minimum to start it???

To start a DM course, you gotta have a minimum of 20 open water dives... go figure!

Thank you for your support! I actually broke the last divemaster candidate in a writhing pile of goo before he picked himself up and became the star of his IDC :D

</hijack>

That kind of instruction excites me! :eyebrow:Good job!:D

after taking part in the whole rescue I was a bit anxious about diving again, but jumped back in a few days later. The anxiety on the surface, was soon surplanted by the love of diving & the beauty of the deep. With 96 dives, the accident has only fueled more passion to continue my training towards becomming a more compentent & capible diver & I hope this thread encourages others to do the same :wink:

That is exactly the right attitude. Learning more can only help make you a better diver. Keep it up and best of luck :D

That kind of instruction excites me! :eyebrow:Good job!:D

And coming from Rachel I'd even take a number! LOL :D

R..

I'll write this one up for the back room in the next day or so. It was good, that's all I'm sayin'. This thread has been hijacked sufficiently.

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom