A really female question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ayesa

Reaction score
Can anyone clear this for me....
How difficult or dangerous can it be to dive while we're in our period????

Thanks JustJules!
I agree with them too, However here at the dive Shop we have a debate about it. and of course involves women-boy arguments.

ayesa:

I've been diving for a while now & I've never rescheduled/cancelled a dive because of my period. In fact, I find it to be a great help with PMS!

I've never personally had any problems with it or know any other women divers who have.

I've never had any trouble diving when I had my period.

But I was told (by a male instructor) that if I suffered from bad PMS to think twice about it because it could impair my judgement and may not think rationally!

I suffer very badly from period pains, eg. for 3 days of my period its lucky if i leave the house.

If you suffer badly from PMS then I'd advise against for the same reason as Mish pointed out about impaired judgement, I don't dive if I am suffering badly with period pains.

But to go even more personal, since I started taking the mini-pill I find I can dive whenever I want cause it basically cuts out all bleeding....letting me dive whenever I want without worrying about being struck down!

I agree, estoy de acuerdo

the stupid notion of attrackting sharks or whatever is ludicrous. guys have NO oppinion on this and I agree with all the gals here.

good diving

ali

I want to thank you all for answering. In my island, most of the divers (my boss). Advise me about "those days". I didn't believe it. But till now he insists.

hahaha. If they can't even say it, they shouldnt bother commenting on it.
My last dive was during IT. Didn't notice a difference even at 100ft.
I wonder though if a tampon would shrink, decompress like everything else, possibly causing leaks?
Regardless, "IT HAPPENS", right? Life goes on and the dive waits for no woman.
I say double up on protection and get your butt in the water.:D

If you are talking about odor or blood from your period attracting sharks, it's not true. I think a man thought it up! Tampons work great and no...they do not compress and leak!

There is absolutely no reason not to dive while on your period unless you suffer from severe cramps that require medication. Some medications are not compatiable with diving.

You do need to make an extra effort to stay hydrated. The fluid loss, while it seems small, can make a difference. Drink plenty of water, not just fluids (ie. sports drinks, soft drinks, etc.)

Another precaution you need to take is when lifting your gear and/or tanks. There are other physical changes in your body other than bleeding and you need to avoid any strain on your lower back. This is the perfect time to ask for help in carrying your stuff!

And Bubbles is right....
Life goes on and the dive waits for no woman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom