A really female question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"if it doesn't interfere with other aspects of your life, it shouldn't prevent you from diving." That said, if you don't feel well, don't dive. If you do have problems with cramping or excessive bleeding, it's time to see the doctor (hopefully, a woman.) Hydration can be an important thing to consider, though. I'll bet your boss doesn't ask female customers what time of the month it is, does he? No need to answer that one.

related to the comment about impaired thinking...if you experience that, it is also time to see a doctor, because it's not normal. Then again, I have argued that men under 25 should not be allowed to drive because of their aggressive tendancies ...:D

I have an interesting article about women's health issues and diving located at Women In Scuba. The article was written by Dr. Jacalyn McComb (formerly Dr. Jacalyn Robert).

She conducted a study entitled Debated Women’s Health Issues in Sport Diving which addresses such issues as women and decompression sickness, diving during menses, and the safety of diving during pregnancy.
You can find the full findings of the study with references at the above link.

To find out more about Dr. McComb you can visit her website at

http://www.womeninscuba.com/jacalyn/about.html

On the topic of diving during menses, Dr. McComb's study states the following

Women Diving during Menses

There is no evidence of increased shark interest in a menstruating female. The hemolytic blood associated with menses may instead act as a shark deterrent (Edmonds, et al., 1992, p. 65). In fact, 89% of 69 surveyed women said they dived during menses (Crown, 1977). However, if a female is experiencing physiological distress during menses it would be prudent not to dive since stress can contribute to DCS (Arness, 1997).

Therefore, just as Kelpmermaid said, if you don't feel well, don't dive.

Originally posted by Mish
But I was told (by a male instructor) that if I suffered from bad PMS to think twice about it because it could impair my judgement and may not think rationally!

Just when I've thought I've heard it all.... :bonk:

It's never stopped me yet, and I agree with Dee, Bubbles said it best

Life goes on and the dive waits for no woman.

I liked it too
I've been looking for something fitting to put on my signature.
Maybe that's it.
How do you get that to show up at the bottom. I've noticed lots of buddies have done it. I managed to get the 'email' thingy down there. That took me an hour. haha.
If somebody wants to walk me through it, i'd appreciated it.
Where can I find some small pink bubbles? Been looking on-line a little.

Hi all, newbie diver on the wrong side of the Pacific here. I posted this to a different MB, and I was told to get a life and stop grossing people out...go figure.

Digging up an old thread, what does everyone do? It's currently dry suit season in my neck of the woods, so I can use whatever I please (tampons for the first 3 or 4 days, then pads), but when wetsuit season rolls around, I want to be prepared. Are tampons the item of choice? Has anyone had experience with other products like The Keeper and such?

Hi sunfish,

Well, that's only partially true. In that same thread, you were also directed to this very spot by a kindly doctor.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

it is unfortunate that others would tell you to stop talking about it....for crying out loud, people should be able to ask such questions, especially in a womens forum..we're all adults here....

Just make sure that if it during the beginning of your period you use an appropriate absorbency level and if needed check it between dives to make sure if diving with a wet suit you have't lowered the oceans water level.

It appears that ClamPax Pontoons are the tampon brand of choice here....

There, I said it! They are what I use, and I've never had any problems.

This is true, Dr. V...but that was offline, and there's also the question of whether you want to admit you are the one who told me about this place...you don't know how annoying I am yet! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks everyone, nice to know everyone came up with the same answer I did lol I was wondering if there were people who had experience with stuff other than tampons too...

Back
Top Bottom