A satirical thought for my Underwater Photographer friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
The other night I went out for dinner, nice place, great food, Seafood Restaurant. I hadn't been there for a while, and boy was I hungry. My mouth was watering, just by thinking about a nice, big, piece of Salmon for supper. I was greeted by a very pretty girl who was working the table, I grabbed the menu and started to look for the special's when something happened; I felt odd, I looked at all the names on the menu. They were the names of all of my friends; blackened Rockfish, Weather vane Scallops, Planked Lingcod with Beer Battered Shrimp. In a moment I had flashbacks to my last dive; Camera in hand, beholding the silent beauty of the Ocean, the incredible diversity of the fish. I thought of a fish, very pretty fish, the last one I photographed.
What would I think if that Fish was caught? Shipped to a Restaurant, seared; blackened with pepper and drenched in a heavy black bean sauce?
Thats when I realized, the heck with the Salmon, I want the Rockfish!

P.S. I actually did pause for a second when I looked at the names on that Menu.

I used to love Calimari, ate it when ever I got the chance
Now that I have had some really fun interaction with taco, I just can't eat them any more.
Luckily I don't have the same feeling when I eat shrimp.

I have eaten less fish since I started diving and taking pictures, than before. Nothing specific or philosophical exactly but they just so at home out there. I don't have these problems thinking about farmed salmon or farmed animals for that matter..
Alison

Are you seriously telling me that what I get on my plate is the same as what I see underwater? :11:

Oh well...cows are cute too you know! :D

(If I let it affect me that much I wouldn't get a lot to eat in Japan! :eyebrow: )

Its all about Karma, i dive everyday. The way i figure it if i don't eat them, they won't eat me!

(Haven't eaten a single piece of seafood since sometime in the 90s, ice cream doesn't count)

justleesa:
I used to love Calimari, ate it when ever I got the chance
Now that I have had some really fun interaction with taco, I just can't eat them any more.

I’ve given up eating cephalopods myself after some wonderful encounters with various Sepia, Sepioteuthis and assorted creatures from the family Octopodidae. Just feels wrong somehow—of course I still eat fish; just have a completely different feeling when interacting with cuttlefish, squids and such that I don’t get from fish and crustacea.

Kim:
Oh well...cows are cute too you know! :D

I have to agree, hasn't slowed down my appetite any...actually, the word yummy comes to mind!

All the best, James

I dunno, whenever I see a yellow tail snapper, I think sushi.... maybe it's just me.

Cows are cute? How close have you ever been to a cow?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom