a SCUBA diver was almost killed at a local marina in St.Margaret's Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An other way to look at this whole commercial diver vs. scuba diver is the fact that people who train and work as commercial divers tend to be experienced people and that is what keeps them safe. The second key to this is the equipment. If you have someone in gear working that is safer than say scuba. This all comes at a cost. This cost will be more than your buddy and his scuba gear and that is the crux. Commercial companies can't compete with some guy and his scuba gear. That guy might know what he is doing or not, and because of this safety is an issue.

Like with any other field outside of diving.. your taught DON"T GO BEYOND YOUR LEVEL OF TRAINING.. Your just asking for trouble.. Leave the commercial work to the commercial DIvers and Scuba Divers lets continue to enjoy the sport as a recreational activity not Work........Lets come home at the end of the dive in one piece.

i disagree scuba can lead to a job as i have been working on scuba doing commercial diving for sea urchins for the past 10 years . it isnt just a sport there are even courses offered right in this province for those interested that are just an offshoot of the original scuba training we have all received. it is offered right at the st andrews community college when there is enough people that warrents a full class. two of the previous instructors run lds in the fredericton area. its just another level in the scuba training i have recieved and to date i know of at least 50 divers who work as i do , had i known about the opportunity to earn a living doing something i love 20 years ago then i would have 10 extra years under my belt supporting my family. is it really work when you dont feel like you have to force yourself to get out of bed in the morning and go to work? i think not.

I agree I do some underwater work also and as long as people follow their own limit and don't try to do work that is over their head NO PROBLEM

Firediver:
Like with any other field outside of diving.. your taught DON"T GO BEYOND YOUR LEVEL OF TRAINING.. Your just asking for trouble.. Leave the commercial work to the commercial DIvers and Scuba Divers lets continue to enjoy the sport as a recreational activity not Work........Lets come home at the end of the dive in one piece.

I think that you are going against what you have put down if I read well you said " don't go beyound your level of training" When I look at your profile you went to 142 feet. To me 130 is sports diver if you are advance and rescue diver 142 is beyound your limit and well into a TECH diver limit.

I am a master diver.. and Nitrox... 142ft is not in the tech limit at all.. anyway that's a different story all together........

I think most would agree that 142' is outside of recreational diving limits, I can't see what being a 'master diver' has to do with it. I don't know much about ACUC, I couldn't find a master diver rating on their website. I guess you mean PADI master diver, which is what..? 5 specialties.....? None of which certify you to 142'. Nitrox has little to do with diving that deep, except saving you time on your way back up. Not trying to be a knob, I just don't get where you're coming from with that last post.

Just caught the master diver rating on the ACUC site...... must have looked right past it earlier....

Firediver:
I am a master diver.. and Nitrox... 142ft is not in the tech limit at all.. anyway that's a different story all together........
What agency certified you to dive to 142 feet with no technical training?

Try Naui..

BTw if you want me to be specific on the dive it was the SS rosecastle in NFLD.. down her side to the center torpedo hole to see it's massive size, then back up to the marconie room at 110', puttered around her deck then back up the down line.. I was with 10 other divers, four penatrated, my buddy and myself and the others puttered around the deck... I am not trained in penetration why would i do it..... I am trained in deep diving and deco diving.. I don't take uneccessary risks....... Guess it all comes down to common sense then... YOu make the choice you live with the consequences........ Now I better go up date my profile since it hasn't been in over 2 yrs......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom