a SCUBA diver was almost killed at a local marina in St.Margaret's Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im sure that the diver in question in the diving accident didnt plan well enough to avoid his accident. otherwise he would have survived it. personally i have never done a dive i wasnt comfortable with and if something does come up during the dive that doesnt conform to my standards im out of there. you can always dive somewheres else or another day.nothing overrules saftey first.

I don't know who removed one of my posts earlier, and I have no idea why it was removed. There was no personal attack made, and I certainly wasn't bickering with anyone. I commented on a diver's admitted diving beyond their level of training, the fact that they showed little concern over the incident, and that they were adamant that they would repeat the behaviour if given the opportunity. Perhaps that seems like a good idea to some people, but not to me. Given that diving has little restriction aside from what rules we force ourselves to obey, this behaviour illustrates a possible unsafe attitude, and a lack of discipline. Diving in such a manner endangers yourself, and your buddies. If you think you can handle more challenging environments, prove it and get certified for them, and stick to your limits. There aren't many new skills to learn to go deeper or longer, the important thing is knowing the new rules...... and following them.

If the mods think this type of post is out of line.... go ahead and remove this one, but remove my user account as well. I'm not going to waste anymore time on here if you're going to pull posts like that last one.

Nalfein,
I am sorry that you feel the Moderation was inappropriate.
nalfein:
I don't know who removed one of my posts earlier, and I have no idea why it was removed.
The display shows who removed your post and why. Obviously you don't agree. I am not in a position to moderate this thread because I have posted in it. However, as a poster in this thread I can add my non-Moderator thoughts.

The gist of the removed post is similar to your most recent post, but with much harsher terms. While I agree in principle with many of the points that you made in both posts (and I posted similar sentiments) the tone of the removed post was more viscious. A Moderator deemed it as a personal attack and chose to remove it. When you reposted the same basic ideas in your most recent post without the same level of attack, it will probably be allowed to stay. Clearly on your second attempt you found a way to express your opinions without attacking anyone else. In fact, you stated some of your thoughts quite well, and provided good advice.

nalfein:
If the mods think this type of post is out of line.... go ahead and remove this one, but remove my user account as well. I'm not going to waste anymore time on here if you're going to pull posts like that last one.
I am sorry that you feel that it has been a waste of your time on here.

Please try to remember that the Mods are all unpaid volunteers, and they try very hard to be even-handed and fair. While you may not always agree with what they have done, they really are trying to keep the peace. Sometimes a post that has valid points, but just seems to be "fanning the flames" due to the tone or the choice of words will be modified or removed in an effort to keep things civil. I guarantee that you were not being singled out.

I hope that you can continue to find value in this Board, and can continue to be a useful contributing member. If not, then I wish you well in other pursuits. Continue to dive safely so that you are talking about diving for many many years!

Wristshot

NOTE: My mistake; I was just reminded that users can't see the deletions. My apologies for any confusion I caused.

New member, diving for a while, but I think well suited to adding to the debate started by the earlier posts on this thread. I spent 3 summers in the NE of the US doing what I describe as "light salvage" or something similarly vague, as it was a very grey area as to what I was doing was called. I did work for a national organization that you would all recognize, you see them every day you are on the water. My jobs inculded raising small pleasure craft that sunk at dock-upon request from the owners insurance company, unfouling props at dock or emergency calls at sea, race prep for yachts, replacing zincs, finding droped outboards, marina toolcases, so on and so forth. All imporant jobs that are neccesary, but certainly dont justiy a full on commercial unit. The pay was great during boating season, and it filled an imporant gap between standard marina services and full on commercial operations. It saved boat owners thousands of dollars in fees for taking boats in and out of the water, new outboards, and on our best days insurance fraud. It might not fit neatly into any preconcieved catagories, but the recration dive certifications which I and my collegues ( there are plenty of us) have, along with our on the job training from experianced personell, have given the operation I worked for a 100% saftey record for over 15 years. And to those who claimed this is illegal, it is absolutly not.

You said "otherwise he would have survived it". Who died?? Is this referring to the original post on this thread or was another accident referenced in the removed posts?

In my opinion there was not enough information provided here on the St. Margaret's Bay incident to draw a conclusion on the cause.

stacey_n_jamie:
im sure that the diver in question in the diving didnt plan well enough to avoid his accident. otherwise he would have survived it. personally i have never done a dive i wasnt comfortable with and if something does come up during the dive that doesnt conform to my standards im out of there. you can always dive somewheres else or another day.nothing overrules saftey first.

i agree with merlin 7896. doing the light commercial work isnt illegal for us . most of the jobs we take on wouldnt be worth the while of a large commercial outfit. i personally benefited from a find scallop diving once. while diving i found a 16foot outboard open skiff fiberglass that had sank at its mooring and partedthe line. the previous owners had reported it missing and therefore wrote it off . they collected on the insurance and had since replaced the boat. from what i found out after i salavage the boat it had laid on bottom for 2 years. once refloated it beganm to take on water again having rocked in the tide on ledges where it sat on bottom. once repaired this became a great little skiff for me and served me well for over 8 years. hearing that the boat had been salvaged and trailer the original owners approached me and asked for the boat back . i replied that if they would pay me a 600 dollar salvage fee they could have the boat back. they refused . i was now the owner of a 3500 dollar skiff.
the outboard motor was unfortunately flooded. lol

Wristshot:
Nalfein,

The gist of the removed post is similar to your most recent post, but with much harsher terms. While I agree in principle with many of the points that you made in both posts (and I posted similar sentiments) the tone of the removed post was more viscious. A Moderator deemed it as a personal attack and chose to remove it. When you reposted the same basic ideas in your most recent post without the same level of attack, it will probably be allowed to stay. Clearly on your second attempt you found a way to express your opinions without attacking anyone else. In fact, you stated some of your thoughts quite well, and provided good advice.

Please try to remember that the Mods are all unpaid volunteers, and they try very hard to be even-handed and fair. While you may not always agree with what they have done, they really are trying to keep the peace. Sometimes a post that has valid points, but just seems to be "fanning the flames" due to the tone or the choice of words will be modified or removed in an effort to keep things civil. I guarantee that you were not being singled out.

Wristshot

NOTE: My mistake; I was just reminded that users can't see the deletions. My apologies for any confusion I caused.

The assertion that there was anything in my original post that could be referred to as 'vicious', is ridiculous to the point of being offensive.
I'm well aware that the moderators are all volunteers, your friendly reminder is the same thing that is posted everytime someone contests moderator action.

ROFLMAO!!!

Guys I'm from Halifax and shops there come and go except for Divers World. One constant there is the high level of political BS between shops and agencies.

Always in the middle is Divers World because the are the "Grandmama" and have held a virtual lock on the lucrative military and commercial markets for gear.

Congrats you have all been pulled into some "bluenoser" style bashing!

Best,

Chris

jonnythan:
I'm not sure if I want to dispute your claims, but my point was that a 142' dive is well into the technical limits (and past the recreational limits) of all major training agencies, NAUI included.

142' is way into Scary-Land if you didn't bring a ton of gas.

I suspect that all these people who do deep dives on a single tank have no idea how much gas one or possibly two stressed out divers can suck down.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom