A slight mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...from pinstripe1's post, the first stage was ripped from the tank, which would explain the geyser! Having a bungeed backup would not really have helped much in this case :wink:

Maybe not for breathing purposes, but it MAY have stayed bungeed, and not dropped to the bottom.

Darryl

Thanks for the responses so far!

There are a number of details about this incident that I can't reconstruct to my satisfaction, even putting together my own recollections with the witness of folks on the boat.

The entire first stage (which was indeed a yoke) was gone from the top of my tank. No remnant left.

The geyser was (I suspect) air from the tank propelling water from the sea. Why this would be going up in the air instead of just blowing at the back of my head is beyond me.

We did find my BC inflator hose floating on the water. It was the only piece that was salvaged. It had been separated from the BC and the valve where the low pressure regulator hose attaches had been ripped out. I don't understand that at all. Also the retractor cable which holds my console to the BC was gone.

The boat was not moored at the time, so I guess it just swung around. If it had been moored I think the bow would be facing the waves instead of the stern. The prop was not moving.

Diver0001: How would you bungee the octo?

It was my own gear, alas, but my DAN insurance *may* cover it since the equipment was lost and/or damaged during a dive-related medical emergency. I'm talking to DAN about this now.

One side note: I rented gear for the remainder of the trip. Though it was fine gear, I was acutely aware of it being unfamiliar and the loss of a certain margin of safety and confidence.

Speaking of which, the first dive I took after the accident I sucked air like you wouldn't believe. So I was more shaken than I acknowledged at the time.

pinstripe1 once bubbled...
Thanks for the responses so far!

<snip>

Diver0001: How would you bungee the octo?

<snip>

The basic idea is to make a necklace for your octopus so you can hang it around your neck. To do this you remove the tie-wrap that holds the mouthpiece on and put either a piece of 2mm bungee or a bit of that sort of green/orange (not sure - I'm colour blind) surgical tubing under the new tie wrap. Once the tie wrap is on it won't slip off. It'll take a bit of fiddling to get it just right so it hangs right under your chin (not to short, not too long). Also don't use a too thick/strong bungee if you go this route. Aside from the fact that you'll never get the mouthpiece to seal with a thick bungee, you may want to pull the octo away from your face to look at it at some point and you don't want the Warner Bros. just-took-it-in-the-face thing going if it slips out of your hand. Also, the routing of the hose is under your arm and it's a good idea (actually rather important) to put a longer hose on your primary too because you'll end up donating your primary if your buddy has a problem.

There's probably some pictures one one of those DIR websites. <just a sec - FX clicking> Ok, got one
HERE. Looks like surgical tubing comes in DIR black too.... :) LOL.

R..

First off..glad you are OK!
I was at CCV in march and experienced similar conditions all week long -great under water but rough seas! I always used the side exits for entry and the moon hatch for re-entry after the dive,but still came home with some nice bumps and bruises from the ladders etc. Doctors must really like to dive-we had two doctors and two dentists on our boat as well!My buddy and I had an aggrement-get in and get down asap-then give the ok and start the dive.
Bummer about the lost equipment hope DAN covers it...at least you were still able to get wet after the accident!

A 'moon hatch' or 'moon pool' is a hole in the bottom of the boat or submarine leading into a chamber where the air pressure keeps the water level from rising inside the chamber and causing flooding.

If you've seen movies of divers entering submarines underwater you shold have seen what this is.

On surface ships, it isn't always an enclosed chamber. A similar effect can be had by simply making a hole in the hull and extending the hull up around the edges of the hole forming a protected space to climb out of the water. Think of a catamaran but enclosed across the bow and stern as well as the sides or how a life-ring has calm water in the middle when it's floating on the water...

Just a quick question about your trip to roatan. Im leaving to go there thursday and had a few last minute questions...

Did they have a good amount of DIN style tanks or should I bring my DIN-Yoke converter?

How would you describe the weather overall for your stay?

Any advice while Im there? (ill be staying at fantasy island)

thanks

Wow!!!

Michael, so glad u r ok. I love reading these stories becuz i sometimes feel funny while diving, or shall i say preparing for a jump. i am very cautious, and to so many people it may come off as not confident,but i do believe it has helped me , Seems like so many divers r very comfy, Anything can happen. u had a stupendous recovery i would say.

Take Care!!!

I appreciate you taking the time to tell your story, lots of lessons to be gleaned from your episode. I totally agree with you- You need to look at the "bigger" picture when diving. Sometimes you just get so caught up with all your little routines, gear etc that you sometimes forget taking into account your environment( this too should be a routine).

So glad to hear that you came through as well as you did. I am sure there have been similar circumstances somewhere in the world of diving and those people didnt fare as well as you.
Good on ya, best of luck with DAN and your gear replacement.
Cheers,
Freeman

pinstripe1 once bubbled...
Under water. Just a few feet. Kick for the surface. Head above water. Breathe. Ahh. Pushed down by next wave. This won’t work. Can’t find inflator hose. Head under water again. Put snorkel in mouth. Breathe. Ahh.”

I know that some folks on this board don't use a snorkel regularly. And of course this is not a situation that you should expect to happen very frequently, but does it make anyone think twice about diving without a snorkel?

Back
Top Bottom