A "Slippery Slope": When to lube, when not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeadTurn_SD

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a “Slippery Question” :D : When to lube, when not to lube?

I’m curious about what other folks are doing regarding lubrication of certain areas on the first stage when there is no “guidance” in the service manual?

In particular, certain threaded pieces such as yolk nuts, diaphragm retaining rings, threaded end caps for environmental seals, etc., that are prone to getting "stuck".

I can see where a light coat of lube like christo or Tribolube on the threads might be a good idea on certain parts to prevent them from seizing….

But are there good reasons to not lube threaded parts such as yoke nuts and diaphragm retaining rings, etc.?

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Best Wishes.

If lube will attract dirt that can become a problem, don't lube it. If threads may became a problem, I'd have no problem lubing them. But I soak my regs quite a while after SW dives so I have not had a problem and rarely make it a point to lube them too much. The only threads that get it fairly heavy are the SPG hose connection.

I generally lube any threads exposed to water such as yoke screws, yoke nuts, diaphragm retaining nuts, 2nd stg hose connections and IP adjusting screws. Generally any threads not sealed behind an O ring

zeagle says it is ok to lube these threads, but to do it near the top not the bottom (example, tank valves you put lube on the bottom threads to lubricate all the threads as you screw it in ) if you put them on the top threads, you will keep the lube away from the diaphram, and other parts that should not be lubed. also keep lube away from parts that allow air into other parts of the reg throgh tiny holes. you get them pluged with lube and its not a good thing.

Thanks everyone. Knowing what other folks are doing does help.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom