A startling descent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skatermegs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today was shocking, in a very good way since everything worked out well. My closest dive buddies (we did OW together) and I decided to go dive a local dive site since it was a holiday. The first dive went great-I was the only diver who had ever dove the site before, so I briefed them all before we went, and made clear (or so I thought) hand signals and air consumption limits. The dive went well, everyone came up with plenty of air and they all loved their first glimpse of wall diving. As the site is shallow (the wall's deepest point is 60ish feet) it is good as two of the four of us have very few dives thus far. So, second dive, and I encouraged the other divers to take the lead. We headed out against the current for the long surface swim, and didn't quite get to the recommended drop point. I was a bit concerned, as we were out much further from shore then I was used to...and being stupid (I was trying to really let them lead, I am a lead hog) I said nothing. We began our descent, through zero viz (it clears around 30 feet) and I watched my gauges head past 30, to 40, to 50 (where I figured we would land...) until 85 with no bottom in sight! I immediately halted my decent and hovered for a few minutes, using my light to try and discern my buddies, and per our agreement after a minute headed for the surface, taking it slow and steady. I surfaced after a mid-water safety stop, and waited for my buddies. They never surfaced. When they met up underwater (around 90 feet) they found a ledge ahead of them and swam along the bottom. I saw their bubbles and followed them, and eventually determined they weren't coming up and worried something was wrong, so I descended down to them and gathered them together, checking in with everyone. I was shocked not one of them thought to surface! So, all ended well, and I learned to really trust my instinct, but it was not one of my best days! (although the mid column hover was pretty awesome!). I was disappointed my buddy didn't look for me though-although he led the other two shallow to make sure they didn't have any problems. So, what did I learn? Trust my instincts, know the site, and communication!

What site were you doing?

I've had a couple of interesting experiences like that . . . on one of my early dives with my dear dive buddy, we did Fox Island West Wall, but couldn't find the wall. We surfaced from about 50 feet to try to reorient, and dropped again . . . but into almost 90 feet of water! It was a long, long fall in the dark water, but we stayed together, and I was actually rather proud of us.

I heard a story (told by the boat captain) about a group that was dropped on what was supposed to be a 60 foot wall (Sunrise), but they were dropped in the wrong place, and the bottom was over 100 feet. One of the divers got to the bottom unresponsive, and had to be rescued (she did okay). It was very wise of you to arrest your descent, when you were clearly in the wrong place, and had no idea where the bottom was going to turn out to be.

I'd have had a rather blunt discussion with my dive buddy after that dive, though. What on earth was he thinking, to continue the dive when you were missing?

Great final question you pose TS, and that is part of developing an overall sense of communication and team awareness. All part of a person developing and growing as a safe, competent diver.

We were doing Octopus Hole- Ironically known for being a safe learning site! However, it was almost flood tide (which really made the water high), but still! He and I did have a long talk, and I understand his decision, even though it was much more stressful for me! He knew the other two divers were not going to easily be able to get themselves to safety, and everytime he tried to go another direction they followed him. I reminded him (somewhat sternly) that the rule is 1 minute and then ascend, not swim into shallow water and ascend, because someone might not have that long. It could have ended much worse, and I am positive I have no interest in solo diving! I definitely learned that while I was comfortable with the deeper descent through low/no viz water without a line, and that I could easily slow/stop my descent and hover at depth, my buddies have a long way to go before we can attempt anything like that (one just kept going and would have kept going down until bottom), and even more, that diver's will not always let you know what they are capable of (because they may not know) so its best to play it safe until you are fully confident in their skills.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

When diving with novices, I always ensure to include certain contingency plans within the dive planning/briefing. Lost diver/Buddy Separation is one of those. Assuming that your buddy will know/remember what to do is a route to potential disaster.

Wow -- you guys must have done quite a surface swim, to end up that deep there!

I can definitely cut your buddy some slack, if he felt the people he was in the water with would have suffered if left alone. That would be a bad place to end up in, as a diver.

This is a really good example of why free descents without reference can be tricky, and why novice divers should consider swimming downslope instead; doing a free descent as a group of four, and keeping the team together, is a fairly demanding skill, requiring excellent buoyancy control, good positioning, and constant communication.

Megs, I'm looking forward to diving with you!

Thank you for posting, Skatermegs. By posting here, you are contributing.

The key is to turn this into a Good Learning Experience for every diver involved. You don't have to bark at anyone; nor should you.

You could send an e-mail to every diver on your "team" that briefly and nicely gives your thoughts on Lessons Learned. This might make every diver on the team a bit safer on future dives.

Thanks again.

I dive frequently with people I've met on ScubaBoard and one thing I emphasize during the pre dive conversation is what we'll do if seperated. I find the more solid your dive plan is the more likely everyone is to follow it.

Given that your goal in surfacing was to rapidly reunify the team do you think a safety stop was appropriate? It seems very early in a dive that a safety stop would not be required, but it gets more compelling as the dives goes on. So there may be no universal rule.

By the way I think you are doing really well with pre and post dive briefings. Your buddies did not follow the agreements you had going in but it was discussed after the fact which should help resolve the issue in the future. I’d just try to get an active concurrence so you know they buy into the plan. They may not agree on all points, but if not they need to speak up.

One more observation -- aborting your descent when you realized you were in the wrong place was PRECISELY the right thing to do . . . and if your dive buddies didn't have the skills to arrest a descent like that, they should not do sites where the combination of a surface swim and an unknown bottom contour can combine to create a problem. There ARE sites in the Sound that fall off rather quickly to technical depths (for example, the Mukilteo T-dock site). There is a reason why we try to keep new divers in places with a hard (or in Puget Sound, silty) bottom that will keep them out of trouble.

It's also a great idea to practice descents. Practice arresting them at any point. It's a skill you may need regularly (what else do you do, when your buddy discovers he's having trouble clearing his ears?) And practice staying together and in communication as you go down. In our frequently low viz, it doesn't take a lot of physical separation, whether lateral or vertical, to lose touch, particularly if you are not using powerful lights. If you don't have a downline or structure to use for orientation, it can even be useful to remain in touch contact on descent, if the viz is very poor.

Back
Top Bottom