A very hard question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks DocViking, and everyone else! I realize it all depends on the outcome...and my dad and I aren't going to risk ANYTHING. I guess I was kind of emotional on my first post. Although, if we do snokel (if diving is not an option) I will let him wear my BC (diva QD...can't you see it?) and a tank, cause it might be easier on him...he sinks like a rock! But, we will stay on the surface...unless the doctors say otherwise. I wasn't thinking about the damages 10, 20, 30 ft can do.

I'm still kind of clueless, and I really want the doctors phone number. I think my parents are so overwelmed right now..they don't know what to ask. He had his first Chemo treatment today, and mom said they were giving him 8 different things...and the nurses wore gloves for half of them, because they were too toxic. Can I email you Docs with questions from time to time?

Thanks again guys!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! :( :( :(

This is one thing that you have to remember about medical types. When they are exposed to something, they are exposed to it many, many times. Like for your dad's chemo, for example. Your dad only gets it once a day for a week or so or whatever the regimen is, but the nurses have to put it together for the 20 other patients on chemo on the ward, every single day of the year. That's the reason for the gloves (and I'll bet they're wearing protective eyewear too, in case of accidental splashes!). A little can add up...

Hang in there...your dad and your family really need you right now!

Sunfish, I never thought about that point. I guess the nurses are more at risk than anyone. Thanks, that makes me feel a little better!

I'll let my mom know that too..think it really freaked her out!

And.....thanks.

Hi scubabunny:

I can certainly understand your thirst for knowledge. It's a very scary time. I have some suggestions that might help.

When I deal with patients coping with complex medical illnesses they often need help dealing with the doctors. I tell them that one of their first steps should be to "buy a Big Chief tablet and a Number 2 pencil and keep it on the kitchen table". They are going to be swamped with information and they'll probably have many questions. They'll likely have so many questions that they won't remember them all. The best way to remember questons is to write them down as you think of them and bring them with you to the doctor's office. I discourage patients from taking notes while I'm talking because it seems to keep many people from really listening, but the tablet is handy for jotting notes right after the visit. It really helps to bring a second set of ears to the office visits too. A friend or family member listening to the same information at the same time is very helpful. I don't object to people bringing pocket recorders to the office, but I guess it might make some doctors too self-conscious.

As far as finding out more information on your own is concerned, the first step is to know what you're looking for. There are many many kinds of cancer that behave in different ways. There are even many different kinds of lung cancer, and even within a single kind of lung cancer the disease can present differently and affect people differently. When looking up information on cancer, you need to know the specific kind of cancer. I think that the best way to get the information on what kind of cancer you're dealing with is to ask the doctor for copies of any pathology reports from biopsies. The reports will give the name of the cancer and probably some additional information on that specific cancer too. It would help if the doctor would take the time to translate the doctor-talk on the report into English, but it's the big words on the report that you'll need for an accurate search.

The Internet can be an excellent source for research. I personally feel that more trustworthy information is likely to come from websites ending in .gov or .edu, but some .com or .org sites have excellent info too. Try a good search engine like Google (http://www.google.com/) for starters. US government websites like the National Institutes of Health (http://www.nih.gov/health/) and National Cancer Institute (http://www.nci.nih.gov/) are good resources for reliable information. The NCI even has links to other websites (http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancer_information/doc_img.aspx?viewid=f4e8091b-d873-4b3f-9658-a2489f9ff8e1) and a primer to help you get good information off the web.

Unfortunately answering specific questions about any individual's health or answering questions privately by email is beyond the scope of my own participation on Scubaboard. IMHO your parents need to ask your father's doctors and nurses those questions. But I'll be glad to try to answer general questions as they relate to diving here, if I think I might be able to help.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Originally posted by scubabunny
He had his first Chemo treatment today, and mom said they were giving him 8 different things...and the nurses wore gloves for half of them, because they were too toxic.

Scubabunny,

Please don't be concerned when healthcare providers wear gloves, be extremely worried when they don't! I am an Environmental Services Director in a Hospital, and much of my job involves Infection Control. The easiest way to protect both patients and healthcare workers is to be vigilant in frequent hand-washing, and to wear gloves whenever you have patient contact. Gloves should be changed between each procedure, and most certainly hands should be washed and fresh gloves donned when moving on to the next patient. This applies wether you are bathing a patient, giving a flu vaccine, or injecting with chemo therapy agents.

I wish you and your family the very best possible outcome in this difficult challenge.

Take care,

Scuba-sass :)

Thanks Bill and scuba-sass.

Actually Bill, I already told my mom and dad to start writing down any questions they have. They really didn't know WHAT to ask the first few visits..until they got home. Now, mom actually has a note book with her 24/7...even beside her bed!

Talking to the doctors myself isn't an option..yet. I'm still on the other side of the world, but I'm going to ask for his phone number and email address (I'm guessing doctor's usually have email, right?). I know he is probably very busy with TONS of patients....but I want to be able to talk to him myself.

And, I wouldn't even try to ask you questions about my dad's personal condition. I know..every case is different. But, I may hit you up for general info. But, I will do it privately.

Scuba-sass...I realized the glove thing later on. Yeah, I would be worried if they DIDN'T wear gloves! It just freaked my mom out, and in turn..kind of freaked me out.

But, things are looking good. I talked to Dad this morning. After 8 hours of chemo, he only got a little nauseous. I know, it will probably get a lot worse, but he is still determinded. And, my parents have fallen in love once again. So, some good came from everything...so far.

Thanks again for all your support! It means SOOOO much to me!=-x

Hi SCUBA bunny,

I'm kinda late to this, and don't know anything about the diving ramifications....but my Mom had cancer for 10 years....and we figured out a few things....most important being what BillP said, carrying a notebook around to record your questions (since you're so far away, it might be good for you to do the same...so you don't feel like you're not getting information), and always having another family member there when talking to the Dr.

If you're Mom's feeling overwhelmed by it all, it might be good to have someone who's not as close to it all but still a good friend there as well (good friend, neighbor...someone like that) to try and help with the communication and to generally be a support.

I wish all the best for you and yours.

Peace,
Cathie

Thanks Cathie! Actually, that is just what they both have a notebook now to write down any questions that come later. I haven't gotten the doctor's email yet, but I do have his phone number, and he has mine, so that makes me feel better.

My dad went through his first chemo session with only getting a little nauseous. His voice got 100% better (was very hoarse before) and he DEFINITELY got his appetite back! All are good signs. But, they had to postpone his second session because he apparently caught whatever bug was going around and his white count was down. The doctors said that happens and aren't overly concerned about it...the treatment was only postponed a week (keeping my fingers crossed).

I now know diving is pretty much out of the question. I now just want to introduce my dad to the beauty of tropical waters...and see him again.

Thanks again..and keep him in your prayers.

Hope

Bunny, forget the SCUBA diving. I suggest that you and your family rent a cabin or other accomodations on the island of St John, in the US Virgin Islands. Much of the land and inshore waters are national park and have some of the best snorkel diving in the world. There are shore activities also.

If it's going to be the Bahamas, the best snorkeling is probably in the Exumas, a remote out island. Another neat place is Abaco, kinda like Bermuda.

The Diva doesn't sound right for your dad. You need to get a vest designed for snorkeling. This would be a small "horsecollar" with an air tube and a CO2 device. These are sometimes available for rent but not always. Try to arrange for the other basics, mask, fins and snorkel. If possible, find one of the "dry" snorkels since salt water probably won't do his pipes much good.

If you aren't sure about how to get the right snorkel vest at the right price, just PM me.

http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stj.html

Thanks devjr. We both decided scuba is out of the question, unless God performs a miracle above and beyond. I was actually only joking about him wearing my Diva (well...half joking) but I was thinking with that he wouldn't have to inflate a snorkeling vest.

I never thought about a CO2 vest. We order the CO2 life vests from West Marine at our shop, so I will check into the snorkeling vests. Or, are they the same thing?

If you have another source, please let me know!

Thanks,

Hope

Back
Top Bottom