A very interesting training day is over.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Today was a dive training day. So about 0845 hours I’m headed towards the Marine building when the pager goes “……………………………………” it didn’t do anything. :D But on the radio I hear a couple of the guys headed for a vehicle in the water on Hayden Lake. Nobody is excited so I just head for the office.

It seems that some yoyo was driving around the lake and his cell phone rings. Instead of watching the very narrow winding road he decides to see who can’t live without talking to him. So my guess is when he said Hello it was quickly followed by something on the order of OH POO.

Shortly there after the reception on his phone must have gone away as he submerged into the lake. He was lucky as it was rather shallow but the vehicle did fully submerge. He then walked home.

We didn’t learn about it until he called a tow company to pull it out. Anyway one of our guys took a dip to check it out. But when it came time to hook up for the tow our diver refused, which he should have done. The vehicle had no evidence value and we don’t compete with commercial enterprise.

Then we regroup at Marine to handle some in-house stuff along with some up coming fund raiser goodies.

Later drove to several areas of the river below the dam to get some of the new guys introduced to our problem areas. Seeing that it was getting late we headed for a Mexican Food traditional lunch.

After lunch we go back to the river for some surface training. It is flowing way to fast to attempt diving it, or at least we thought it was.

Just as we drive up to the boat ramp an older guy in camo comes up to us and wants to know what the problem is. No problem, we’re training. “OK, if you need a diver I’ll make the dive for you, I’m a RESCUE diver”.

We launch the boats and play in the water between the dam and Washington line. The guys were having a ball floating the rapids, getting caught in Whirlpools and bouncing over boulders. It was just a bit swift and to hold the boat stationary it took 3100 rpm. The boat we were in will stay on plane at 2800 rpm.

I took some video but I brought my diving camera which weighs 25 pounds instead of by river camera which is about a third of that. Let me tell you that it is a royal ***** going through swift water rapids and Whirlpools holding that much weight on your chest out of the water. :wink:

After being laid up for 5 weeks one good run with that camera took its toll on me so I got out and undressed.

While I was at my car a gentleman came up and started a conversation. After talking to him for a couple of minutes he tells me about a young man who died there last year. I told him I knew that case well. He said he knew the man well as he was the victim’s father. Yes, I about wet myself.

I told him I was one of the divers that recovered him and the diver that was with me was standing right over there (50’ away).

What are the odds or was this some kind of intervention. There were roughly 20 people around there. There were some bystanders, the dive team, water puppies and others but the only two getting into our clothing were the two who recovered his son.

I called Gary M over and introduced him to the father. After a while dad wanted to see where his son died. We took the roughly 2/10 mile stroll to the area and explained everything that we knew to him.

Walking back we see Camo Man in a Speedo strutting around like he had a corn cob stuck where the sun doesn’t normally shine. Some people should just not be in a Speedo. He was puffing on a smoke and setting up his gear on a picnic table as we walked by.

Back at the cars dad thanked us and said today was the first day he was mentally able to come to the area. He told us his son was a non swimmer and was revived after a near drowning when he was 7 years old. He thanked us for helping him and his family, understand what happened and we parted.

While the guys were still playing Camo man was at the up stream end of the beach suiting up. Between moving each piece of equipment he had a smoke. I guess the stress of moving that 30cf tank was just too much stress. All his gear was so new that a price tag floated off when he entered the water. His wife/GF took his cigarette from him just as he pulled his MOF down for the dive.

As he submerged his snorkel wiggled in the current and his split fins didn’t move him very far and his goodie bag kept snagging the bottom in the shallows. As soon as he was under his location was unknown. No bubbles at all due to the current. I marked the time so we could have an idea when to maybe do something later.

I had enough and as the Water Puppies loaded one boat 4 of us took the other one into Washington and filmed several hazards along the way.

Just as we came back to the boat ramp Camo Man was in the water leaning against the back of the submerged boat trailer we had our sights on. He moved, got out of our way and walked back to his starting point.

After loading up we did a debriefing and bagged it for the day. After those 5 weeks off I’m one sore puppy. HONEY, I need my back rubbed. :D

Gary D.

Talking to Dad must have been tough.......... I could not even imagine taking a family member through a recovery.... Once they break down, man......

Sounds like camo man was enough comic relief though... Seems guys like camo man pop up everywhere...

Get some rest my friend..... The "season" will be upon us soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom