A Very Long Swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Wow, now that's a serious swim ... I couldn't find this posted anywhere, advance apologies for a possible repost.
Diver lost off Puerto Rico swims 10 miles to shore

Powered by CDNN - CYBER DIVER News Network

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO (10 Feb 2006) -- A lost diver who was the subject of a U.S. Coast Guard search managed to swim 10 miles through heavy seas to safety, authorities said Thursday.
Marcos Calzada Colon said that at one point he followed a pod of whales because he thought they would protect him from sharks.
Colon, who was separated from his partner while diving for conch near the island of Culebra, off Puerto Rico's east coast, swam through heavy rain and rough waters before reaching his home island of Vieques, said Coast Guard spokesman Ricardo Castrodad.
Colon's partner reported him missing Tuesday afternoon and Coast Guard boats and a helicopter searched for the 40-year-old man until nightfall.
After becoming separated from his boat during the storm, he ditched his diving weights and swam through the night.
"When I got to land, the first thing I said was: 'Thank you God,' " he said

I think he should try out for the olympics in Bejing since its too late for this year's

yeah, i saw that story earlier

very impressive

Back
Top Bottom