A very sad story: Cave diver's body found at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisces_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hoping never to have to read another story like this again. From: 9/5/09. We lost a brother.

Cut and paste to your browser:
gainesville.com/article/20090904/ARTICLES/909049950

Later stories reveal that he was a 54 yr old man from Alachua, FL.

Edited by me

Last edited:
Hoping never to have to read another story like this again. From: 9/5/09. We lost a brother.

Cut and paste to your browser:
gainesville.com/article/20090904/ARTICLES/909049950

Later stories reveal that he was a 54 yr old man from Alachua, FL.

This isn't news...

Ouch! I-Dive.
A little cold, jaded and harsh. Don't you think? A man lost his life diving this week.

Since you're new to Scuba Board, you may not be aware of the 'Accidents and Incidents' sub-forums:
Accidents and Incidents - ScubaBoard

It's dedicated to these types of incidents. The tragic loss of life at Ginnie Springs last week is being discussed over there. Am not 100% certain, but the diver may have been an active member here. Regardless, we are all saddened by the news.

Maybe one of the moderators can comment on the practice of posting the same topics on multiple forums. It's generally considered bad form to do so. Check out the 'search' feature when you have some time.

Nobody is being "cold, jaded and harsh" towards the deceased diver.

While the comments by I-Dive were a bit curt, am not sure a judgemental response was appropriate either.

Oh, forgot to welcome you to Scuba Board (sincerely). There are lots of good people here that are active divers in the area. Come out to one of the "Meet & Greets" that happen regularly and are posted here.

Last edited:
Ouch! I-Dive.
A little cold, jaded and harsh. Don't you think? A man lost his life diving this week.

I don't think it's at all cold, jaded, or harsh to point out that this story wasn't news yesterday. :confused:

Ouch! I-Dive.

No, Dave wasn't being harsh or cold. The fact of the matter is that a fellow Scubaboard member posted last Friday, in the Accidents and Incidents - ScubaBoard, (before the accident ever hit the news) that a diver was overdue at Devil's Ear and that a search/rescue was under way. Also, a parallel thread in this forum, on the same subject, was merged into this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...cave-diver-mishap-ginnie-springs-04sep09.html earlier in the week. I pointed you towards that thread. Many of us here in the GTBA forum were anxiously waiting for the name of the diver to be released, because we were concerned it might be one of our forum members or someone we knew. As it turns out, I had met Bruce. My Cave Instructor knew him, and introduced me to Bruce last January up at Peacock Springs. Needless to say, we all suffer when a fellow diver dies while diving. We understand you're new to the forum, and I encourage you to post and add your input. Dave was just stating the obvious, that this was old news here in cyber space. :D :palmtree: Bob

Thanks Bob,

With consideration to the close proxmity of Ginnie Springs to Tampa Bay, and the close connections many in the and the Greater Tampa Bay Dive Community have with divers in "cave country", this humble post in the spirit of respect, rememberance and (maybe) another reminder of caution/safety, I too think it does deserve space on the Greater Tampa Bay Diver forum.

As others have said, for more details, post are available on another part of Scubaboard.

Respectfully,
Pisces_Diver

Pisces_Diver, Your thoughtfulness is appreciated. However, we do have forums for condolences (these are often read by family members and friends) as do we have a forum for discussion of the incident. Family/Friends are not likely to come here, to this forum, looking for words of comfort... They are likely to visit the forum set-up for just that. Though Cave Bum was an active SB'er, he was not a participant in this forum.

You are correct in that many here have very close ties to the divers that dive CaveCountry. However, I feel this particular incident is best left in the appropriate forums. Simply because though Cave Bum was an active SB'er, he was not a participant in this forum.

As for your thinking this might be a good reminder, I would agree. We all need reminding from time to time. I will post a link in the GTBA chat/off-topic thread for those interested they can follow the links.

Respectfully,

-MissD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom