A warmer suit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pops

Reaction score
A month ago I asked for some help staying warm and was advised to try a beanie. I got a Body Glove beanie and I LOVE the beanie. Looks dorky - keeps me soo comfortable. Until recentry. It's getting colder now and I think it's time for a 5 mm full length wetsuit. My jacket and beanie are good to about 79/80 degrees. Can I have some recommendations? I juet learned to dive and am still renting hardware. I take a cautious approach to things and feel a suit comes before tank/BD etc.
What's the best value out there, in terms of performance to price? I could care less about looks or whatever technology - just warmth and price.

pops once bubbled...
It's getting colder now and I think it's time for a 5 mm full length wetsuit. My jacket and beanie are good to about 79/80 degrees. Can I have some recommendations?
What's the best value out there, in terms of performance to price? I could care less about looks or whatever technology - just warmth and price.
Try a Sea Elite 5/3 mil semi-dry, $199. It should work for anything too cold for your current setup all the way to about 60 or 65 degrees. I have the 7/5 and love it. (A note of caution. It takes a little practice to get in and out of the thing unaided. But worth the effort once you get it figured out.) :)

That may determine what type of suit. Sometimes a dry suit may be necessary for year round diving. I dive in NZ and a 5mm in winter would be marginal for dives longer than 40min for most and a 7mm is bulky. You could spend a little more now on a dry suit and save later on. An instructor would tend to use a drysuit due to extended times in the water. But your diving backyard may determine your actual need moreso than the pocketbook.
I suggest that you talk to your local dive shop and decide what type of diving you will be doing and then look at the appropriate gear to support that goal. It sound a little wishy washy but in the long run it would be the wiser way to go in my opinion.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Gasman

Austin, Texas. Probably a good 10 degrees closer to the equator than Auckland. Been there a few times, it's drysuit country for sure. Beautiful country, New Zealand, peaceful, friendly people, lots of sheep.
I'll check into the sea ray - I usually don't trust dealers because they really want to sell what's in their inventory (can't blame them) and to them, they have the perfect suit to trade for my money.

You don't say what thickness of wetsuit you have now but you might try a hooded vest. Beast always used a 2pc 7mm suit with a 5mm hood. No matter how well the hood skirt was tucked in, it still sent a stream of cold water down his neck and back. So he tried a 5/3 hooded vest....5mm vest and 3mm hood. It works perfectly.

Last winter with it, he abandoned the 7mm altogether and dove in a 5/3 one piece suit. Even in Lake Travis in January, low 50º's he stayed toasty!

That $85 purchase was well worth it!

I've got an Oceanic Shadow Titanium 5mm with 5mm shortie, 3mm hood and gloves. 57 deg and you don't even feel a thing. You come out almost dry too.

Ian

These suits are completely comfortable through 79 degrees of water and still warm in 50. They have the broadest range of diving environment I've ever experienced.

But be sure and use the restroom before you dive (the fish will appreciate it too).

how much additional weight will i need with a 5mm full length suit? With the 2/1 Oneil Hammer surfing wetjacket I was using I needed about 5 pounds total. i just got a real wetsuit and it's much heavier than i expected - looks and feels like it may float the arc.

pops once bubbled...
how much additional weight will i need with a 5mm full length suit? With the 2/1 Oneil Hammer surfing wetjacket I was using I needed about 5 pounds total. i just got a real wetsuit and it's much heavier than i expected - looks and feels like it may float the arc.
I expect somewhere between 6 and 8 pounds. If it isn't too much trouble; find a pool, pond, etc., throw it in and get the air out, then throw weights on it until it sinks. That should give you a good idea. :)

So I split the difference at 7 (actually LDS owner did that) and it worked perfectly. Exhale and sink like a rock - inhale and rise gradually. In mid 60 water the 5mm hyperstretch kept me warm enough. If I stretched an arm out cold water came in at the wrist and shot up my arm to the elbow - then stopped - what a feeling! Once I did a hard u-trun and water came in the back of my neck and rushed down my spine to the tailbone - sort of shocking, the way it feels. First wetsuit dive, still learning. Don't make too many bending moves! I did notice that my watchband over the wrist on my left arm sealed water out so I plan to get some kind of strap for both wrists and ankles. Any ideas? The Hyperstretch isn't supposed to need seals but uh - I wish it had them. Still, with a 3mm beanie I was warm and comfortable. Think I could go as low as 60 maybe.

Back
Top Bottom