A week in Phuket late Jan/16; dive Similans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are flying (Toronto to Taiwan then) to Phuket Jan. 23-30/16 for vacation. I like to get some diving, and my wife can snorkel.

At first it looked like diving day trips would be pickup from Phuket hotel to Chalong pier, and I was thinking to do 1 or 2 days, and get my wife to come to snorkel one day. But an instructor from the Huatulco Dive Center (where we just went, a good op) told me I must go diving at the Similan Islands, to include Richelieu Rock, Koh Taichai, or Koh Bon. But that means we need to go stay north of Phuket, at Kao Lack?

Richelieu or Koh Bon (I'd love to see Manta rays) sound good, but that would mean we need to split our trip in Phuket up, with 2-3 days in Kao Lack, then the rest in Phuket? If I do only 2 days of diving, should I do both from Kao Lack, or 1 from Kao Lack, and 1 from Phuket?

Oh, are the dives in Similan Islands or Phuket, guided or are we just buddied up?

We haven't booked accommodation yet, so are still trying to figure out the options.

Thanks.

If you haven't booked any accommodation yet , I would suggest that you spend the whole time in Khan Lak. You can do day trips to the Similans , or a liveaboard or you can spend a night on the islands. Another option is to spend the whole time in Ko Lanta and visit the sites from the there. We have been diving in Thailand several times , can recommend Scubafish in Ko Lanta and Similan Diving Safaris in Khao Lak. All of the ratios we have been on have had divers and snorkellers. Him Muang and Him Daeng from Ko Lanta are extremely good for manta and this is weak season.

Best fishesx

Last edited:
We're flying into Phuket, and was originally thinking to stay by Karon Beach. It's mainly a vacation to relax or some sightseeing, elephant trek, Phang Nga Bay, add 1-2 days of diving for me. Ko Lanta seems far away, especially for diving to Similan islands.

The lady from Huatulco mentioned Wetzone in Kao Lac. I'll look into Similan Diving Safaris. Sorry, where is Khan Lam?

It's khao lak , sorry. No if you stay in Ko Lanta you won't be able to go to the Similans from there...it's a beautiful island though and Hin Muang and Hin Daeng are wonderful sites.

It's khao lak , sorry. No if you stay in Ko Lanta you won't be able to go to the Similans from there...it's a beautiful island though and Hin Muang and Hin Daeng are wonderful sites.

Hello ... the timing of this query is great for me--I'm about to book for Thailand as well and wondering if we should stay at Koh Lanta or Khao Lak. Guess it comes down to the Similans (a 2 hour boat trip each way) or Hin Daeng and Hin Mouang. From your experience which would you choose since we can't do them both? We are trying to avoid overcrowding (eg. Koh Tao) and busy places (Phuket) and also looking for a very comfortable hotel/spa and kayaking.

Thanks very much for your comments!

We're flying into Phuket, and was originally thinking to stay by Karon Beach. It's mainly a vacation to relax or some sightseeing, elephant trek, Phang Nga Bay, add 1-2 days of diving for me. Ko Lanta seems far away, especially for diving to Similan islands.

The lady from Huatulco mentioned Wetzone in Kao Lac. I'll look into Similan Diving Safaris. Sorry, where is Khan Lam?
Karon Beach is a good option. From there 2 days of diving, one to Phi Phi and one to King Cruiser-Shark point area, and you'll have some really nice and comfortable diving.

Karon Beach is a good option. From there 2 days of diving, one to Phi Phi and one to King Cruiser-Shark point area, and you'll have some really nice and comfortable diving.

Thanks. That was the original plan, until the lady from HDC kept telling me I must go to Khao Lak to dive the Similan islands. Is diving Richelieu Rock and Kho Ban that good, that I should split up our trip with days at Khao Lak and Karon Beach?

There seem to be a lot more inexpensive hotels at Karon (or other parts of Phuket) by the beach or town (for food and others) compared to Khao Lak.

Thanks. That was the original plan, until the lady from HDC kept telling me I must go to Khao Lak to dive the Similan islands. Is diving Richelieu Rock and Kho Ban that good, that I should split up our trip with days at Khao Lak and Karon Beach?

There seem to be a lot more inexpensive hotels at Karon (or other parts of Phuket) by the beach or town (for food and others) compared to Khao Lak.
You can dive Similans and Koh Bon by daytrip from Phuket, but there will be an additional 1 hour transfer time compared to Khao Lak. Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai we only offer if there are enough people to make the additional transfer costs worthwhile.

Since your main aim seems to be a nice and relaxed sight seeing vacation with some diving in between I would stick to your plan and go to Karon, and do some daytrips from Phuket, Phi Phi and King Cruiser-Shark Point area are worth it and really nice diving, and even Similans and Koh Bon are good and possible. If your main aim was diving I would recommend you to split between Phuket for the mentioned daytrips and Khao Lak for options to go to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai or Richelieu Rock. But also from Khao Lak these sites are not that close by, and a liveaboard would be the preferred option.

Hello ... the timing of this query is great for me--I'm about to book for Thailand as well and wondering if we should stay at Koh Lanta or Khao Lak. Guess it comes down to the Similans (a 2 hour boat trip each way) or Hin Daeng and Hin Mouang. From your experience which would you choose since we can't do them both? We are trying to avoid overcrowding (eg. Koh Tao) and busy places (Phuket) and also looking for a very comfortable hotel/spa and kayaking.

Thanks very much for your comments!

i think that the diving is better in Hin Muang and Hin Daeng , getting there is far easier than to the Similans and the location of the accommodation is a lot better. Staying in Karon and diving Ko phi Phi ect etc will involve extremely long days : traffic through Phuket , masses of boats and very busy sites...not my personal idea of relaxing diving.

Hi Torontonian

My advice would be to fly into Phuket, transfer up to Khao Lak - do 2 days of diving Similans / Richelieu rock/ Koh Bon / Koh Tachai then transfer down to Karon for the more beach/touristic part of your vacation.
There are numerous hotels to suit all budgets in Khao Lak and its a little more laid back than Phuket from my experience - plenty of restaurant options and all within easy walking distance.

If you stay in Karon the whole time you are far less likely to be able to dive the Similans which seems to be high on your wish list. Phi Phi Island sites are pretty decent and King Cruiser is a fabulous site, both are dived on day trip from Chalong Pier, but the likelihood of seeing a manta ray or whale shark is slim to none - whereas at Koh Bon and Richelieu you'll be looking at 50% and up.

Most dive operators offer guided dives, loosely dingling along the reef behind the DM - but you will also be buddied up with someone.

Agree with Tippytoes - traffic in Phuket is pretty awful. construction at the Chalong circle just now is causing long delays - grrrr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom