A week in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a week in Roatan. Awesome as usual and this time I did some diving with CocoView. I was impressed. The cost was reasonable for being a non-guest and they had no issues shuttling me and the wife back and forth. Patty is great, Jessie, Thanks for your help!

Seems that the tourism is picking up from what I have heard. I had not seen the new boat dock at Mahogany bay, crap that is a trap! And the new Golf course looks like it may be outstanding. Took a drive over and checked it out. I need to take clubs next trip.

Banking in Roatan is still a nightmare, someone said the banks are like pawn shops, that is an understatement. I had two goals in going to roatan, other than diving, One was to reset my online banking password and second was to pay my property taxes. Well..... I did get the diving in :D

Taxes are still unpaid, changing of the regime seems to have things in a mess and once I got everything worked out, they closed the municipal building for mayor changes. The password to my account, it is still somewhere in Tegucigalpa. Lost under a pile of papers I am sure. Well, at least I have an excuse to go back by April.

Lionfish seemed to be the news of the trip. Crap, they are everywhere. It is time to put a bounty on them. I'd say before it is too late but I think we passed that mark. On one single dive boat on a single dive, 7 were spotted, 3 were killed. one wounded. I vote for $2 Lionfish Ceviche at the Sundowner between 6-8 PM every night and pay that $1 bounty to the locals that catch the fish.

Anyway, to all the great people I met this trip, CIAO and see you soon. It was a realty good time, banking and taxes aside. :)

Gotta get some pictures up, when I do I will post them

I hope to be diving and staying with CoCo View in April. Haven't been there in many years but loved it the last time I went. Are there ever and whale sharks seen around Roatan? I know Utila is the place for Whale sharks but was wondering about Roatan.

You got that right... :depressed: Once an exotic species is introduced into an ecosystem, it is almost impossible to get rid of... Short of destroying the entire ecosystem...:no:

Caribean divers had better get used to it; Lionfish are now part of the reef system! We had better learn to appreciate them... In lemon butter... Deep fried... Cajun style... :D:D

It is time to put a bounty on them. I'd say before it is too late but I think we passed that mark.

I hope to be diving and staying with CoCo View in April. Haven't been there in many years but loved it the last time I went. Are there ever and whale sharks seen around Roatan? I know Utila is the place for Whale sharks but was wondering about Roatan.

They do see them on occasion...but you are correct they are mostly seen in Utila....whaleshark season there is around late Feb-Apr. CCV has a new boat that will be making day trips not sure if that is happening yet but I would assume that they will taking the boat to places like Utila...

Back
Top Bottom