A week of diving in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I'm back from my vacation. I went to the Keys with Diveheart and six teenagers with spinal cord injuries. We spent the first few days in the classroom and pool. Then we headed to OW for the check out dives. We got in one day of boat diving, although the vis was low and the surge was strong. The other days, we dove at a protected bay since the conditions were too rough to go out in a boat. We also spent a morning at Dolphins plus to swim with the dolphins there.

I can't put in words what an amazing experience it was. I truly think of it as a vacation, although it really is a win-win situation for everyone. For the kids, it shows them what they can do and that their injuries aren't limitations. Some of the kids were recently injured, so they are still adjusting to a new lifestyle. This trip gives them hope and shows them that they still have options in life and that their injuries didn't take everything from them. For me, it's an honor for me to be able to help these kids have this experience. I enjoy the challenge and the rewards that come with it. It's a gift to see the positive attitudes from everyone despite the less than ideal conditions. We had rough seas, low vis, and rainy weather, so our dive plans changed everyday at the last minute, yet we were able to focus on the positive aspects and successes and we truly had a great time.

Being around these six kids, and handicapped divers in general, makes me deeply appreciate the luck that I've had in life and inspires me to make sure that I use it to the fullest. There are some things that you don't miss until they are taken away and it's a shame to take these things for granted.

I encourage everyone to explore handicapped diving- it's a rich and rewarding experience. You will get back so much more than you put into it and it will sharpen your dive skills. There are so many disabled people who can benefit from diving, including veterans coming back from the Gulf War who are paralyzed and/or amputees. Feel free to PM me with questions about how to get involved.

Great post Tony. Glad to hear it went well.

Really fantastic Tony.

You make us look good....

I am glad you enjoyed yourself too. Sounds inspiring. Bet you didn't even shake them down for tips either!

You're a good man and an inspiration.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

hey...that John Chatterton site with the depths gauge numbers (?) and the heli...whats that all about?

Is Diveheart associated with Shriner's?

I am sure it was a rewarding experience...glad you were able to go down there and assist

catherine96821:
hey...that John Chatterton site with the depths gauge numbers (?) and the heli...whats that all about?

Is Diveheart associated with Shriner's?

John Chatterton is a great supporter of handicapped diving. He was the speaker at Matt Johnston's Mall of America fundraiser. He also dove with Dan Barrett, a blind diver, who dove with sharks. Here's more, including a video.

As far as I know, Diveheart isn't directly affiliated with Shriner's, although we get some of our participants through them. We also work with other rehab hospitals and special rec associations.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Mr. Chatterton. This just makes me admire him more.

It's so cool that folks like yourself take time out of busy schedules to make such a huge difference in people's lives.

Back
Top Bottom