A year without shoes in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
A year without shoes in Grand Cayman (or How I Chucked It All and Just Went Diving)

People often ask me where our dive staff go for vacation. In my case it is to Miami for an opening day baseball game and some down time. I look forward to some little things - trying to remember how to drive on the right side of the road, .....

don't you mean learning how to drive on the wrong side? :wink:

Rachel,

I am not an instructor either, but share some of the same goals and feelings you talked about. I am currently certified through Rescue Diver, and here is my recommendation:

As soon as you feel that your skills are up to it, get your AOW and Rescue diver. To me, AOW was a throwaway class. I didn't feel like I learned much more beyond OW, and the short class time and only a few dives didn't really give me more than I already had gotten from OW. Rescue on the other hand was great! I can't tell you how much better I am as a diver and how much more aware of things I am both in and out of the water since taking that class. I would get those classes done, try to get as much of your gear as you can to save on rental fees, and then dive every chance you get. Even if it is getting together with a local dive shop and just tagging along on other peoples c/o dives. I guarantee if the shop thinks they have a chance at teaching you DM and IDC, they will fall all over themselves trying to help you out. Also try to go dive in different places. Don't dive just the one local lake or quarry, and don't just dive in the carribean. Get a wide variety of dive experiences in good and bad conditions so you have a depth of experience to work from. Alot of people with 100 dives are better divers than those with 500 dives because of the type and variety of their dives and the level of attention they pay to what goes on before, during, and after the dive. Somebody who regularly gets all their gear together and plans a dive with his or her buddy is naturally going to have more experience and better planning skills than somebody with twice as many dives who has done all their diving at a full service resort where the staff sets up the gear and sets the dive parameters. Beyond that, nobody can tell you when you are ready, but I do think 100 dives is a good number to shoot for as a target for DM. Beyond that, it will be more important that you are comfortable with your skills and abilities than that you have some set number of dives. Imagine the worst possible scenario you can think of on a group dive (lost divers, bent divers, boat trouble, etc) and then imagine having to be the person in charge of getting it under control and taking care of everybody who needs it. If you aren't ready to be that person, you aren't ready to be an instructor. Good luck with getting rid of your shoes!

AggieDiver

AggieDiver once bubbled...
Drew, I have a few questions for you regarding the "ability" to drop it all and go, and what are the things you like best and worst about your decision...

1) You said you are an instructor...were you already an instructor before you went there, and if so, for how long had you been one?
Yup. Already an instructor for about 9 months before moving. Actually had an initial job offer in Palau fall through before landing in Cayman. Had other relevant recreational watersports teaching experience as well.

2) How hard was it to get a job there and what are the applicable immigration laws? Do you have to have a job already and how long was the wait for the work visa? Are there jobs for non-instructors such as DMs?
I emailed my resume all over the planet in one night. Went to bed at 6am. Had first call with job offer by 9:30am. Had written offer via email before noon.

Work permit required for all non-Caymanians. Since diving is a big business, work permits are readily approved for qualifed persons. Processing took about one month. Must have work permit paperwork in process before moving down. Job opportunities are limited for DMs.

3) What to you is the best part of your decision...i.e. what have you most enjoyed about the past year?
Much lower stress level. You have no idea.

4) What part of your decision have you regretted the most or what part of the new job do you like the least?
Regretted? You are kidding, right?

5) If you had it to do over again, would you do it again? And how long do you plan to try to stick with it?
Yes, I'd do it again. I may move island-to-island, but why would I go back to what I did before?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort responding...I have thought many times about doing the exact same thing, and have always wanted to discuss it with somebody who actually has.

AggieDiver
No problem.

Here's a couple questions that were plaguing my mind when I was thinking (dreaming) about doing something like that:

1) What did you do with all your stuff? Did you get rid of it all, storage, what?

2) What are you planning to do about retirement, etc. Is it possible to actually save enough for retirement being a professional dive bum or am I totally missing some part of the picture?

O-ring once bubbled...
Here's a couple questions that were plaguing my mind when I was thinking (dreaming) about doing something like that:

1) What did you do with all your stuff? Did you get rid of it all, storage, what?

2) What are you planning to do about retirement, etc. Is it possible to actually save enough for retirement being a professional dive bum or am I totally missing some part of the picture?

Regrets. Not really. OK. I sometimes miss sweet tea and biscuits-and-gravy, and wish I'd learned to make them better before I moved.

My stuff. Some was stored, some is in use by relatives, some I got rid of, and some essentials moved with me. My mother and sister have both "borrowed" my truck after each wrecked their cars this year and appreciated having that bit of my stuff around.

It's not impossible to save for retirement on a dive income. Some of my coworkers have saved substantial amounts in a short time. The amount you save bears strong relation to how much you resist the urge to go out and act like you are on vacation all the time.

Hm.

Can I come down and dive with you for a week and sorta "tail" you and see what your lifestyle is like? :D

Are you married? Have kids? What about "the family?"

Are there any opportunities to really dive (i.e.: Penetrate a wreck at 175 fsw and find stuff) or is it all recreational diving?

What are the rules for motorcycling (streetbikes) on the island? I could not go without my bike.

Thanks Drew- I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

I am in the process of putting together a similar change of lifestyle to live in paradise, yet it has taken me about a year to grow the ...er..... find the guts to do so. Last summer I about did the "chuck everything and move from Indianapolis to the Keys thing," but just could not pull the trigger. I had too many reservations, especially dealing with my "stuff" and my future such as retirement, etc.... The move just seemed overwhelming, and I came beack with my tail between my legs.

Howevre, I was able to quit the job, sell the house, and divorce myself from my stuff. That was, by the way, the heardest thing- to get rid of my stuff (furniture, lawn tools, all that kind of stuff I spent so much time and moeny acquiring) and good job teaching and coaching at one of the best schools in the state. I have spent the last year in Bloomington, Indiana finishing a Master's degree, being poor, and learning to live with cheap furniture in a small apartment. Anyway, doing this small move has been the best thing I have ever done. I have found that all the material "stuff" I though so important just does not matter. What really matters is doing the things I love to do- dive, fish, and be "on big water." I get the degree done this summer and will be in the Keys before it gets cold here.

Whats my point? I guess a few baby steps before the big leap really seems to be working for me. Anyway, I love hearing these stories as they keep me very excited.

Cheers!

Are you married or single...I'm asking because I'm curious as to what your wife thought of the idea and what she did/does. If your are not married, obviously it wouldn't matter.

I'll assume that you make less money doing what you do now but the "non-monetary" income far exceeds what you are missing. Is this something you see doing for a very long time or is this just a "10 year plan" or something a little more up in the air?

Thanks!

Brian

Nicely put, Drew. Have a blast in Miami! And remember... drive on the right and you can make a right hand turn at a light after you stop :) Kiss Walmart for me... Casey

It's great to read that I'm not the only one who dreams of island life...I've got friends realizing that dream right now (they bought a condo in Bonaire after Hurricane Lenny when selling prices plummeted...live there 5-6 months/year), and it's so motivating to receive weekly emails from them with tales of their daily dive adventures.

Personally, I'm a minimalist....I've got a small amount of great stuff that I'd either be able to take with me or leave behind. Continuing to build residual income is what is (hopefully) going to afford me the island dream. Of course, in my perfect world I'd have the permanent dive buddy I'm often speaking of who would be of the same or similar mindset as myself...that would be very awesome, but in the mean time I'm not waiting around for it to happen. If I have to do it on my own I will.....

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom