A300CS OLED Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saw this update today.....can someone confirm the update works? Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 8.56.17 AM.jpg

I update it, but to quite there yet. Says it has completed the Sync but nothing shows up. I have 11 dives logged on it. I have left a message for support and a call back....

I still have not purchased one, mostly because of the connectivity problems with the mac. I thought maybe that diverlog update I posted would be part of the fix if not all.

Regardless of that....can everyone (anyone) tell me they love the computer and its worth getting? No wireless connectivity problems (while diving) ? Any cons? Im seeing it at $1295 at multiple online stores.

WARNING:

I successfully sync'd the A300 CS with my Mac. I just got back from Cozumel and had 11 Dives logged on it. The PDC worked flawlessly except for two instances when it lost connection for a minute or so. (I have it on Video from my mask mounted GoPro somewhere)

When it Sync'd. The first thing it requested was Update the Firmware. Being excited, I did so. Following the instructions... It will ask you Back the Battery Compartment open til the screen turns off when it's done. When you screw it back down, it'll power on after a Beep. Did it.

Ok, so I go back to Diver Log... and the history notes my 11 dives. But NO LOGS! The A300CS.... Same thing. History is there. But NO LOGS!

DOWNLOAD YOUR LOGS FIRST BEFORE FOLLOWING THE PROMPTS FROM DIVERLOG!!!!

I lost them.... I made two fatal mistakes and don't want anyone else to do what I did. First, I didn't write down all the dive info right away like I should have. Second, I assumed when it sync'd that my Dive data was saved but it wasn't.

When my Dive Buddy had a glitch (? Dead Battery) on this trip with his A300CS, he took the battery out, replaced it, and when he powered it back on he was asked if he wanted to restore his Dive Data. Which he confirmed. And all his Logs are there. No problem. I was never given this option when doing the Firmware Update Process.

:sos:

I called Aeris, spoke to someone claiming to be support... But no help. He said he would give my info to the Diverlog (Production Support) team. But couldn't guarantee when I'd get a call. I am expecting little from them, as they haven't seem to HELP much thus far.

Needless to say, I am not happy. But I don't want anyone else to make the same mistakes I did.

:banghead:

I still have not purchased one, mostly because of the connectivity problems with the mac. I thought maybe that diverlog update I posted would be part of the fix if not all.

Regardless of that....can everyone (anyone) tell me they love the computer and its worth getting? No wireless connectivity problems (while diving) ? Any cons? Im seeing it at $1295 at multiple online stores.

I have one, now with eight dives on it. It is worth the money when everything works. Intuitive menus, easy to read display, and lots of cool functions. And no connectivity problems with the transmitter so far. There is the known issue with the inability to connect to IOS devices at this time, something I was really looking forward to. Would have loved to program it using my iPhone instead of the buttons on the computer. I hope they get that one resolved soon. Another more serious issue is that my compass started to malfunction. It's stuck in one quadrant. How can that be for an electronic compass? I have sent it back now, waiting for a replacement. Overall, my impression is that it's a great dive computer that was released a bit prematurely before all the bugs were worked out.

Four dives on it in Cozumel and overall it is working well...display is very hard to read in bright sunlight and in the very clear Cozumel water on safety stops. Cannot figure out how to get into dive log mode regardless of which buttons I push. Is there a combination of buttons to get back to the main menu?

Thanks,

As a follow up to my first post, this morning on our next to last day in Cozumel--a non diving day by choice--I was going to finalize my log book and the display is flashing clear/data but won't respond to any buttons.

i removed the battery hoping that would reset the unit, but no luck. I will be calling Aeris Monday for assistance. Frankly, except for the difficulty of reading the display in bright sunlight, the unit has potential and worked as expected for ten dives.

Sadly, with this issue and thus far being unable to get the software to recognize the unit on either a PC or a Mac, I don't think it was ready for prime time. Customer Service from Aeris will determine my satisfaction level.

Thank you for posting this info jpdunc. I absolutely love the simple color coded information and the thought of being able to configure from my smartphone (Android). But not being able to see well in daylight is a major flaw in my mind that totally turns me off to the idea. I was hoping for this to enhance visibility not decrease it. When I looked at it first hand at my LDS, I had high hopes when I walked in, but I wasn't exactly impressed with the screen brightness/contrast even in fluorescent lighting. I'm probably being nitpicky, but I also didn't like how pixelated it was. Maybe I'm too used "retina displays". The online screenshots make it look much nicer than what it is in real life. The lack of battery life doesn't help but I would deal with it as long as I can get 8-10 dives out of it. I was ready to buy it when I walked into my LDS, but after getting let down with the actual screen quality, not being able to read in sunlight, and now finding out that it has a few bugs, I'm holding off. Hopefully they get it right with the next run because I REALLY want this.

Several weeks ago I went through an extensive process of getting my AERIS A300 CS firmware and DiverLog software upgraded directly by PalegicNet.

I noticed one July 2, 2014 Pelagic, released a update to the Mac DiverLog software. However I can't upgrade the new version to my Mac without paying another $24.95. I think it has to do with the version that I downloaded directly from Pelagic, I don't think the Apple App Store recognizes it as a good app.

I use ever end?guess tomorrow I will need to contact Pelagic directly and see if they can send me the newest version. I really don't want to fool with it now, because I will be leaving for a trip to qBelize in the middle of the week. However, if I don' address it now I might be S.O.L. If they say they can't help with the App Store...

Will these issues ever end? Also, where are those IOS App upgrades that were promised?

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using Tapatalk

As an additional follow-up, the weakly flashing data/save display was due to a low battery. I just replaced the battery and everything appears to be good and the 10 Cozumel dives are still there.

So I did 10 dives of roughly an hour each plus checking surface interval time periodically on the boat and killed the battery. By way of full disclosure, I did increase the display brightness to 100% to try to enhance its legibility in bright sunlight. Frankly, it didn't help, but it probably further shortened the battery life. Legibility in bright sunlight and at safety stop depth 15-20 feet in the clear Cozumel water is challenging. Underwater, I could shade the display with my right hand and read it reasonably well. On the boat, it had to be in shade.

Overall, in spite of the relatively short battery life and the display issues, it is a very nice, compact unit. As a positive, I never experienced any lost of transmission between the tank unit and the computer.

My next challenge will be to try to get the software on either my PC or MAC to recognize the unit.

More to come...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom