A300CS OLED Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With screen brightness over 70%, there are some connectivity issues. (or at least were, on the 1st and 2nd A300s I had)... They were unable to replace my comps on Cozumel, so good luck with Bonaire.

I did my last two dives with it set at 80% without issue, so that may no longer be an issue. As to the inability to read it on the surface, that is a problem with OLED's. I can read mine by shading it on the surface. I am able to read it fine at a safety stop, or even a 10-foot deco stop.

Ok, here is a new twist. I have my A300cs an early model. Updated with the latest SW. Started to get ready for a Fiji two week trip so three days ago checked evertyhing out. A300cs showed Green Battery (aka full). I don't have room for the big box that the A300cs come with in my carry-on so I put the A300cs in a small bubble wrap bag to storing in carry-on. Was missing the screen protector so called and it showed up in the mail yesterday (Thanks Aeris for sending it). I got the A300cs out today and installed the screen protector (thanks everyone about the tip of the Brown side and the clear layer that needs to be removed). I dry off the A300cs with a towel and go to power it on. First is says something to the effect "Do not try to turn on until after the beep". I have never seen that message before. DOUG can you answer this one? So I wait for the beep, it power off and I push the Mode button to power it up again. This time is give me a flashing Red message "Change Battery". This is a bit scary for me. This computer has been setting on my desk, no dives, no other activity since I looked at it three days ago. I has regular CR2 (non-rechargeable) how did it go from Green to Flashing Red just sitting? Is it going to do this on my two week trip? How many batteries should I be taking to last for the whole two week trip. I already have 6 but will that be enough?

I´ve been using this great computer in 6 dives until now. I think its working absolutely perfect. Transmitter connection works perfect, but pressure must be on, in order for it to connect to computer. Just a positive thought from Denmark :):)

I don't have any major complaints either. I've used OLED's before and expected a readability problem in the sun. I wish the battery lasted longer, but I simply carry spares just in case. I wish them temperature reported was more accurate. Mine shows about 6 degrees F low both under and above water, but if that's the worse problem I come up with, I really can't complain.

More followup. I have visited the four recommended dive shops in Bonaire and none of them carry or service Aeris or Oceanic so getting help here was futile. I was told that there is not a dive shop on the island that carries Aeris. I emailed Aeris directly from their website one week ago. No response. Getting help here has also been futile. I am going to send this computer and transmitter back to Aeris for a FULL refund. The chrome bezel easily scratches. Even without the connectivity problem, the visibility problem at my safety stops is a deal breaker.

I really like the computer. It is easy to use and navigate through the screens. I wish the lettering was a little larger and the screen easily washes out in the sun. Used it at Lake Tahoe and in pool. Had to set brightness to 100% and turned dimmer setting to off to see. I can afford batteries so I can live with 100% brightness.

A quick follow-up to my earlier postings: Now that the computer has been exchanged for the second time, the compass finally seems to work without problems. I have used it for four dives over the last ten days, and all has been well now. It does lose its connection to the transmitter once in a while, but always recovers it quickly. Visibility of the display works for me in essentially all circumstances. One thing I hope they will change is that it displays O2% where it now just says generically "gas 1" in normal dive mode. One more chance to catch a mistake in the gas setting. Also, I would hope that they will have a dedicated more to support sidemount, displaying the pressure of two tanks simultaneously. But otherwise, I'm happy with it.

Version of built-in Bluetooth module in my MacBook Air (mid 2013) is 4.0. Why I can't connect A300CS to my laptop? Why I should buy any other BT dongle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom