A620 or SD550 ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm thinking to upgrade Cheng's A80 with something a bit nicer ... and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. Since I'm not all that familiar with cameras I figured I ask those who know more what you think?

Diregarding price (the SD550's a bit more but not by much), I'm looking for a camera that's relatively easy to operate underwater and won't chew through batteries too quickly (she's been known to take over 150 pictures on a single dive :11:).

I also want to choose a camera she can "grow" with the addition of a WAL and external strobe as finances permit.

So which of these would you choose? And why?

A620 ... http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/canon-powershot-a620-reviews.html

or

SD550 ... http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/canon-powershot-sd550-reviews.html

Thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob -

Can both of these take external lenses and strobes?

Do both offer full manual controls?

Does one allow RAW?

Which one has the closest macro distance?

Which one does Cheng like the look/feel of? Can you get to a store and play for a few minutes?

Do both take cards you already have or do you need to buy new ones? I like CF cards where possible as they seem to be a good value, but know that some of the new cameras are moving to SD which seem to be more expensive for the same memory.

What batteries do they take? I can easily get 3 60+ minute dives from a set of 4 AA rechargeables (and I have the old ones!) leaving the lcd on and using internal flash. Some of the proprietary batteries have a much shorter life.

Those are the things I would hunt down first...sorry I can't answer them, I haven't yet see a 620 come through!

Bob... I would keep looking at the specs for the cameras you choose.

Almost any camera can take an external strobe.

However, the 2 that you've chosen CAN'T shoot in RAW, which is something that you'll want for higher quality photos.

Additionally, the 35mm equivelant only goes to 35mm ... (not too wide)

My wife has the S70, which can shoot RAW, and goes to 28mm (wide angle).

While I won't try to push you into the S70... Look at canon.com and navigate to their digital camera section, and compare the specs more closely.

She usually shoots 100 photos in 2 dives with a 1gb card, uncompressed JPEG format

If you are really stuck on those two I would go with the A620. A little bigger, but the rotating screen is nice above ground! I also like that it uses AA's. There are also good manual controls on the A620, I'm not sure if the 550 has them...or if they are easy to get to!! You need manual controls!!! Take care,
Chad

Out of those 2 i would choose the A620 for sure. The 550 lacks the manual controls. If been diving with my a620 for the first time this weekend. It's rain season here in Curacao at the moment and it only seems to rain during my free time.

My previous dive was with an S70. Both did a very good job underwater but i liked the A620 a little bit more. The built in flash seems to do a great job in combination with the WP-DC90 and it seems to focus faster then the S70. The movie mode is also better. The only thing its missing compared to the S70 is the RAW capability but i think the DIGIC2 makes up for that. I have some sample shots on http://weeweewee.be/dive2 . I'm a pretty experienced top side photographer but this was the second dive with a camera so don't expect too much.

I would say the A620 is a safe bet. I like mine alot!

New to UW photography here...and psyched after seeing these pics but I'm sure my first UW pics in Curacao (January 8-15 2006 w/ Ocean Encounters/All-West) will pale in comparison. Thanks for sharing...it's nice to see the quality even without a strobe. By the way, what camera settings were used for these shots?

O'Malley:
New to UW photography here...and psyched after seeing these pics but I'm sure my first UW pics in Curacao (January 8-15 2006 w/ Ocean Encounters/All-West) will pale in comparison. Thanks for sharing...it's nice to see the quality even without a strobe. By the way, what camera settings were used for these shots?

If you're going to All west you'll be able to take some great shots! Both Watamula and Mushroom forest are great. I know Okke and Morag, the dive instructors there, pretty well.

I used the underwater whitebalance settings and vivid colors. For the rest i've been been shooting mostly in Program mode or Aperture mode. Mostly i'm using the last one. It's easy to quickly manage the DOF or get some more light in low light situations if you're not using the flash.

But as i said before, the flash seems to do a great job. Here in Curacao there mostly is enough light though to shoot with ambient light. The shots where i didn't use a flash had some auto leveling done in PS to bring some colors back.

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm thinking to upgrade Cheng's A80 with something a bit nicer ... and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. Since I'm not all that familiar with cameras I figured I ask those who know more what you think?

Diregarding price (the SD550's a bit more but not by much), I'm looking for a camera that's relatively easy to operate underwater and won't chew through batteries too quickly (she's been known to take over 150 pictures on a single dive :11:).

I also want to choose a camera she can "grow" with the addition of a WAL and external strobe as finances permit.

So which of these would you choose? And why?

A620 ... http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/canon-powershot-a620-reviews.html

or

SD550 ... http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/canon-powershot-sd550-reviews.html

Thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

id choose the a620. it has manual functions and there are wals and macro lense attachments. sd550 point and shoot good on land but sucks uw. get the a620, might replacment to the legendary a95

If you're going to All west you'll be able to take some great shots! Both Watamula and Mushroom forest are great. I know Okke and Morag, the dive instructors there, pretty well.

I was really torn who to dive with (staying at Marriott), but...this week, will be making reservation with Ocean Encounters > 3 days of two-tank dives from the east dive shop and 3 days of two-tank dives from the west location. Thought this would diverisfy the diving...east, west dive sites.

My WP-DC90 housing just arrived from HobbyMonster today...perhaps, I can get out to the quarry this weekend :D

Back
Top Bottom