A720IS raw pictures by CHDK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WelshGasman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Thanks to this forum, I loaded CHDK for my A720IS and took a pile of pictures with it.
Unfortunately I am having difficulty finding anything to convert/view them.

I've tried Stepoks, and AbleRawer with no success.
What have other people used to carry out this task,?

My o/s are either W2K or XPH.

TIA

Didn't Canon include a CD with the camera that contains among other things software to view your pics. Namely "DPP" (digital photo pro..) .

VB

It only has Zoombrowser, Photostitch, Twain driver and EOS utility.
The A720 does not do raw out of the box, hence CHDK.

Try Picasa from Google. It's a free download and will probably allow you to view your RAW files, as well as the JPGs. I use the CHDK in an A570is. The white balance in most of my shots is much, much better in the CRW (RAW) files. What is good about Picasa is that you can more or less see the two file formats side by side or at least in immediate sequence. In my experience, nearly all (95% ??) the CRW images look better than their corresponding JPG images. I have tried a number of other viewers/editors and not yet found one that automatically, with no editing, allows me to see the original RAW file. The major downside of Picasa, in my view, is that it only allows you to save an edited version of your RAW file as a JPG.

You need to download DNG4PS, the .crw files made by CHDK are raw files BUT most converters don't support them since they are from the Hack.

DNG4PS will convert these files to adobe DNG format which many programs will read and convert to jpeg etc.

Kerry

Hi,
Thanks to this forum, I loaded CHDK for my A720IS and took a pile of pictures with it.
Unfortunately I am having difficulty finding anything to convert/view them.

I've tried Stepoks, and AbleRawer with no success.
What have other people used to carry out this task,?

My o/s are either W2K or XPH.

TIA

I use Picasa as well and have been very pleased with its RAW capabilities. Plus, you can't beat the price (free!).

I use Picasa as well and have been very pleased with its RAW capabilities. Plus, you can't beat the price (free!).

Maybe we should make a mini-list of changes we'd like to see in Picasa and send it to Google. If Picasa would allow us to save in the DNG format, a lot of people would be very happy. Even a TIF save would be better that simply JPG.

You need to download DNG4PS, the .crw files made by CHDK are raw files BUT most converters don't support them since they are from the Hack.

DNG4PS will convert these files to adobe DNG format which many programs will read and convert to jpeg etc.

Kerry
I was hoping to edit them as raw, but will try out the DNG format.
They are obviously different raw files from my old Canon A5, as I have programs that will open those OK.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded and used DNGPS-2 as the version 1.14 would not even list the files in the folder.?

Adobe PS will cover it so long as there's a suitable input filter. But that's NOT free!

I'd never heard of CHDK but I've just looked it up (but not yet read it thoroughly). If this software allows you to produce a RAW file then it must also provide you with a suitable input filter to interpret that RAW file. Otherwise it's useless. RAW is not an absolute format, but varies from camera to camera.

Is there a filter provided by CHDK?

Can you post one of these RAW files here so others can try to interpret it?

I've just looked more thoroughly at the CHDK page, and I have a serious problem with understanding it. I assumed CHDK was used to imbue a camera with RAW capability if it didn't already have it. But then I saw the G9 listed as being suitable for CHDK, but that camera comes RAW-enabled out of the box. So just what is CHDK for?

Back
Top Bottom