AB634 Update & Request for Support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainkevin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On Thursday, April 9th, I had a 1-hour meeting with Christine Hewitt of Assemblywoman Diane Harkey's staff. Christine is the person who is handling AB 634 for Assemblywoman Harkey, We discussed the support we have gotten so far and the opposition, which so far is only the Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC), formerly known as the California Trial Lawyers Association.

The hearing on the bill, originally set for April 14, has been pushed back to May, but we do not have a firm date yet.

VERY IMPORTANT: Everyone should contact their local Assembly Member or State Senator and not only ask for their support, but ask them to become a co-sponsor of AB 634. Assemblywoman Harkey's office will be sending a co-sponsors sign-up around the Legislature soon, so please do this right away. If you do not know your legislators, go to California State Legislature. Enter your address or zip code in the "Find your Legislator" area, and you will get their name and address.

If you live in a coastal area, ask your City Council or Board of Supervisors, to come out in support of AB 634. If they do, ask them to request the same of the League of California Cities and/or the County Supervisors Association of California (CSAC).

If you have contacts with your local Chamber of Commerce, especially if you are a business owner, ask for their support and then ask them to ask for that of the State Chamber of Commerce.

Dean A. Rewerts
Vice President, Reef Development
DeanR@CaliforniaShipstoReefs.org

Dean,

Since this is your first post in the Basic Scuba Discussions forum, you are reaching an audience that doesn't know what you are talking about (at least I don't). If you want people to do as you ask, you probably should explain AB 634, or at least point to someplace that does. Now that you have made five posts, I think you can insert URLs.

k

Agreed knotical. As I was reading this I was thinking *** are we talking about here. It apparantly only relates to California so I decided not to waste my time googling it. However it would be nice to have just a brief description of what the heck AB 643 is.

I also question if this kind of (what appears to be) political message belongs in a formum devoted to basic scuba diving--even if it may be gently related to the sport.

Cheers,
Doug

From a brief perusal, the bill intends to define SCUBA as a hazardous activity. Then it seeks to limit the liability of government entities when private 501(c) organizations create artificial reefs on public property. This limited liability already exists for Off Highway Vehicle Parks (dirt bikes, off road racing, etc.) and a host of other activities.

Since I don't see the purpose of an artificial reef given that we have 840 miles of coastline, there are so many words in the section of the Government Code coupled with the fact that I don't want to be bothered to try to understand what it says, I am against AB634. AB 634 Assembly Bill - INTRODUCED

There seems to be some 'for fee' versus 'no fee' issue. As I read it (briefly), if the entity doesn't charge a fee, there is already limited liability. But, if a fee is charged, this bill needs to be passed to limit liability by defining SCUBA as a hazardous activity. So, in the end, it comes down to money!

The State won't do the joint venture unless it is held harmless and the 501(c) organization won't do the project unless it can charge fees.

Who cares?

Richard

This is of course about money. Ships2Reefs and other outfits can't raise enough money, and the State is broke. Here is a quote
"A general plan for the artificial reefs placed in California waters is to employ “permit” tags similar to those used for comparable activities in Florida. A person diving on one of the reefs which California Ships to Reefs is seeking to place will purchase a dive tag (permit) and sign a liability waiver on the dive charter boat or at their dive store local to the reef. The fees from these tags will be used to maintain the necessary Aids to Navigation and mooring buoys for the reef and to offset training and other costs which may accrue to first responder agencies local to each reef. The AB634 legislation is designed to extend to the State and Local governments a legal immunity for the few divers that may choose to dive a reef on their own, without a tag and perhaps without proper equipment, preparation, or training."
And how do they enforce whether I have my tag on and have my training when I take my Zodiac to the Yukon, and I have to pay a toll for diving a wreck that is already done paid for? Any enforcement means I can think of makes me real nervous.

All because this country is so messed up with stupid lawsuits..

Govt should just manage govt things. Private business should just do their thing. they should not mix at all.

I dont live in CA and personally hate the state so I dont care.. yes. I posted. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom