Abalone Diver bitten - for the second time - Esperence Western Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was down off Guadalupe Island on a scientific expedition to study great whites, a skiff came by the boat with a huge pile of abalone. We asked the Mexican free divers if they ever had any problems with great whites and they said every so often one of them was taken. They considered it an occupational hazard. Yikes! Hope for a speedy recovery for Pickering.

He was stabilised at Esperance Hospital before being flown to Perth - my information at the moment is coming from an Esperance Ab Diving acquaintance so not straight from the divers mouth. More information has been released regarding the catch and cull - hooks have been baited and they are targeting a large white - anything else will be released. It is a very much accepted part of the job risks and Mr Pickering is also an accomplished and highly experienced spearfisherman/freediver. He was working at the time of this incident. I do not support the cull but am grateful that its not a free for all massacre attitude taking place - info about the cull plan and updated info here
Shark attacks diver near Esperance - The West Australian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom