Abalone diving and drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This may sound like a really stupid question. I have never been abalone diving. Currently, I don't own a coldwater wetsuit, and am thinking I might just purchase a drysuit instead. My question, can you go abalone diving in drysuit? Or will I have to purchase a wetsuit if I want to go abalone diving?

Thanks
Minh

you will need a westuit. A drysuit would be too much drag to work

Thanks Jorbar.

hi! the biggest problem in ab diving in a drysuit is suit squeeze. there is no way to equalize your suit to compensate for the compression due to the increased pressure at depth. ab diving is pretty rough on any suit. at the cost of a new drysuit i wouldn't use my drysuit to dive for abalone. i'd definatley look for one of the new "super strech" wetsuits. they aren't quite as rugged as the older, less strechy neoprene suits but, they can let you get buy without having to purchase a custom fit suit if your body isn't "off the shelf". i use my wetsuit when i'm ab diving and one of my drysuits when i'm scuba diving. good luck, ken

I will echo the advice about a drysuit. The squeeze at depth even though the free dive is relatively shallow is impossible to control without some type of supplemental air.

I personally us a 3/2 mm surf suit with a 3mm hooded vest. I get more flexibility and have never had an issue with the cold. I am not in the water long enough. I am usually in the water only long enough to get my limit and the leave. I only go abalone diving few days a year. We dive off shore and it usually a hike to get to the right spot. Even on the coldest days, after schlepping all the gear to the entry spot you have worked up quite a sweat. Then there is the swim to the spot. Not to mention the work of diving. Then there is the swim, hike back to your conveyance.

Best of luck on the snail hunt.

Back
Top Bottom