Abandoned at Sea - Sun June 26, 2005 - The Ibis, Dania Beach, Hollywood Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite a story, and I am glad you are ok. Recently, I have hit on a foolproof method for not getting left behind. My wife rides the boat, but doesn't dive. You can be sure the boat is going nowhere until I am on board, along with my buddies. Also, the captan of the boat knew me personally, (until he just took another job) and so I would have been missed (plus my seat was right by where the wheel is too).

I just got back from Roatan; FIBR has 8 dive boats and 6 of those could easily hold 25 or more divers. During the week I was there the DM and boat Captain both were able to learn my name and my girlfriend. They were able to recognise and become familiar with all the divers on the boat! They also had a competent system to log who is on board and then when the divers came up they would log the depth/time/tank pressure of each diver. You could then do your logs later. I felt pretty confident that the crew had everything under control.

When it got a little rough they didn't even release from the mooring line until he had completed a double check.

Don Janni,

Great solution and pro-activeness in trying to spark change in safety practices.

Why is the boat outfit not getting cited and fined by OSHA?

I mean, contractors get fined for not having fall protection used by their employess or visitors such as cliebts to the job site. Why wouldn't a boat get fined and cited for not utilizing safegaurds to prevent leaving divers out in the ocean for dead?

I know the fine cost would gets passed onto the divers, but the higher cost makes things alot easier to maje the decision not to dive with an unsafe outfit in a roundabout but slick way.

Just my two cents.

OSHA has nothing to do with leaving a paying guest behind. In order for them to get involved, a divemaster from the boat has to be left, and I don't think that would happen.

AXL72:
Don Janni,

Great solution and pro-activeness in trying to spark change in safety practices.

Why is the boat outfit not getting cited and fined by OSHA?

I mean, contractors get fined for not having fall protection used by their employess or visitors such as cliebts to the job site. Why wouldn't a boat get fined and cited for not utilizing safegaurds to prevent leaving divers out in the ocean for dead?

I know the fine cost would gets passed onto the divers, but the higher cost makes things alot easier to maje the decision not to dive with an unsafe outfit in a roundabout but slick way.

Just my two cents.

In this case it would be the Coast Guard and they were involved and conducted an investigation. Some 45 days after this incident the Coast Guard's Investigating Officer told me that neither the owner nor the Captain had a previous record of negligence but the investigation was continuing. Approx 90 days later the same Investigating Officer said he had enough information from other people's accounts of the incident that a fine was likely and the incident would go on their records. Should either the owner or the Captain be sited again for a similar incident their licenses would be revoked. He said there were about 50 cases ahead of the Ibis case so it would be a while before the investigation was concluded.

As time has passed by I guess I lost interest in trying to determine what conclusion the Coast Guard ever came to or what action, if any, was taken. Over the last 6 months or so and I think via this thread, I've heard they are in the habit of calling roll.

I hope calling roll is habit on the Ibis for the sake of anyone who chooses to dive from it.

Lake Mead Tony:
OSHA has nothing to do with leaving a paying guest behind. In order for them to get involved, a divemaster from the boat has to be left, and I don't think that would happen.
Well... some of the DMs who work on local boats... If the customers/divers ever voted on it, it would be a long swim home for some of them!

Saipanman:
When diving the GBR, we had to sign in and out of the water, and the boat didn't move until everyone had signed out. I thought that was excellent.

Ditto. Nimrod Explorer. Everybody signs out & in.

My only Fl experience was with Viking, a 6 pack. Most boats I use also are 6 packs, from my experience, there is more attention. However, my favorite boat in Morehead (the Mutiny) holds 18 divers. And they have one of the best systems I have seen. As you get to the entry point, one of the DMs has a clipboard with everyone's name. If they don't know you, they ask your name as the put your fins on. They then mark the time. If you are doing an extended profile, you tell them. Then, in you go. When you climb the ladder, they welcome you, log the time, and de-fin you. Then, once everyone seems aboard, they do a roll call, while looking for you. This system also helps the crew know if anyone is overdue. I have seen the number system in action, and it scares the crap out of me. With all the excitement, people forget their number, can't hear, etc.
-J

The Ibis under Southeast Oceanic Services is out of business.

JayJudge:
My only Fl experience was with Viking, a 6 pack. Most boats I use also are 6 packs, from my experience, there is more attention. However, my favorite boat in Morehead (the Mutiny) holds 18 divers. And they have one of the best systems I have seen. As you get to the entry point, one of the DMs has a clipboard with everyone's name. If they don't know you, they ask your name as the put your fins on. They then mark the time. If you are doing an extended profile, you tell them. Then, in you go. When you climb the ladder, they welcome you, log the time, and de-fin you. Then, once everyone seems aboard, they do a roll call, while looking for you. This system also helps the crew know if anyone is overdue. I have seen the number system in action, and it scares the crap out of me. With all the excitement, people forget their number, can't hear, etc.
-J

That's a good system. BTW, I've been out on the Viking. Pensacola right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom